Arghhhh! 10 gallons of "band-aid" beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops 2oz of Cascade. Just put them in a sanitized nylon bag, opened up the keg, and three them in there. The next day it tasted amazing.

Makes me want to go pull samples from the two I have working just to see if they are ok. Kind of like going to check on the kids in bed after watching a movie about a kidnapper.

Hmm... Maybe I should continue my plans to build an alcohol recovery system just in case this ever happens to me by accident, or possibly even on purpose...

We all extend our sympathy. My worst moment as a homebrewer was when a 4-year old barleywine developed a gusher infection before it was 1/3 gone. Fortunately, I had backups.

Makes me want to go pull samples from the two I have working just to see if they are ok.

Heisenbeer's Uncertainty Principle. The act of monitoring your brew actually affects it, so you can never quite know the state. In other words, each time you test your beer you add oxygen and bacteria, and perhaps cause the problem you are hoping not to find.

It will improve with age. Time heals all wounds.

EDIT: I thought you dumped it...that wound would heal with age. Your beer, probably not, haha.

I had a bad day at work and I'm drinking a glass of this right now. It's interesting- there are two kegs. Both have an off-flavor of phenolic compounds but one is quite a bit worse than the other. The one is not really all THAT bad, considering I have only a little good beer left. I can drink this one, or rather choke it down, out of the one keg. But I won't like it. Then I'll switch to one glass of my good hoppy APA.

I'll consider it penance for angering the beer Gods. :D

Yopper sorry for your loss. I have a question though. I have been an extract brewer for 7 years and I have been using regular tap water for my brews. I have my first 10 gallon all grain batch scheduled to brew in 2 weeks. My question is - is there a difference with chlorine in the water when it comes to either extract or all grain. I don't mean ph and all that good stuff. Im just thinking if I should use some Camden tablets to remove the chlorine when I brew all grain even though I haven't had a problem with it during all my years of extract brewing.

Again my condolences

Yopper sorry for your loss. I have a question though. I have been an extract brewer for 7 years and I have been using regular tap water for my brews. I have my first 10 gallon all grain batch scheduled to brew in 2 weeks. My question is - is there a difference with chlorine in the water when it comes to either extract or all grain. I don't mean ph and all that good stuff. Im just thinking if I should use some Camden tablets to remove the chlorine when I brew all grain even though I haven't had a problem with it during all my years of extract brewing.

Again my condolences

If you have chloramines/chlorines in your water, you'd have chlorophenols whether extract or AG in the end beer.

Forcabrew.

Since you haven't had any problems with your brews you could just try the first all grain batch with your tap water and see what happens.

If you want an educated answer do a search for ajdelange and send him a PM. He often responds to water chemistry questions. Pretty sure he's a bit of an authority on the subject.

Edit.. Sorry Yooper, not trying to hijack this thread just trying to help out Forcabrew in my small way.

Once again, condolences to your beer. But hey! It's still beer! :)

If you have chloramines in your water, you will likely have some resultant flavor in your beer, even if you personally aren't able to pick it out. It depends on how much your water company puts in as well.

Campden tabs won't hurt anything at their suggested amounts so it's worth trying IMO. You may be able to taste a difference or not. Supposedly you can crush a tablet and mix with a small mount of water and then add to your brewing water before using. The effects are said to be immediate.

I don't know about you folks, but I'm an RN and work with bandaids on a daily basis. I have yet to ever stick one in my mouth, so i have no idea what it taste like. Just out of curiosity, how do most people here know what bandaids taste like? :confused:

The only logical explanation i can think of is they read about chlorophenols on how to brew, and decided to put a band aid in their mouth just to know what it taste like :cross:

yes?

Planning to make a big expensive american stout today. trying to decide whether or not to use the slurry in the fridge or 2 packs of 05... I think i just made my mind up.

What a bummer, I just had the exact thing happen to me from a 3 month old jar of washed wlp001, took a day or two to take off in the starter and that should have told me something. The beer is not that bad but you can def taste that something went south during the process. I'm gonna continue to drink a glass a noght until i can't stand it anymore.

Man, this forum is too soft on a guy with over 40,000 posts! Where's the brotherly, condescending harassment from this fraternal community that one would expect? Like, "Well Yooper, the secret of you dipping your balls in every batch is finally out," or "That's not Band Aids you smell, it's gonorrhea."

I kid. But not really.

Man, this forum is too soft on a guy with over 40,000 posts! Where's the brotherly, condescending harassment from this fraternal community that one would expect? Like, "Well Yooper, the secret of you dipping your balls in every batch is finally out," or "That's not Band Aids you smell, it's gonorrhea."

I kid. But not really.

I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag, but when it comes out your post will be all the more entertaining...

The last few posts are full of win...So who's gonna let him in on the secret?

w/ a 2009 join date I'm surprised this is even happening.

I kid. But not really.

This should be my new signature line, but alas, its too long!:p

I don't know about you folks, but I'm an RN and work with bandaids on a daily basis. I have yet to ever stick one in my mouth, so i have no idea what it taste like. Just out of curiosity, how do most people here know what bandaids taste like? :confused:

The only logical explanation i can think of is they read about chlorophenols on how to brew, and decided to put a band aid in their mouth just to know what it taste like :cross:

yes?

Welllllllllllll, I've worked in medicine for 30 years. And I've yet to put a band-aid in my mouth. So you have a point. But it tastes like wet band-aids smell, if that helps!

I kid. But not really.

I can assure you that I haven't dipped my balls in a batch of beer. Partly because that's icky, but partly because I'm missing those appendages.

I guess it could be a sad sad story for those who don't already know me. But it's true. I am totally and completely ball-less. They aren't even in my wife's purse, like some brewers have been accused of. They are just gone.

I don't usually talk about it, though.

. . . because I'm missing those appendages . . . I am totally and completely ball-less. . . . They are just gone.

Wait . . . what? Is there a story here? :cross::drunk::confused:

Why am I always the last to know?

Wait . . . what? Is there a story here? :cross::drunk::confused:

Why am I always the last to know?

I think my explanation stands for itself.

You and I have only been friends 5 years or so. We've talked about our grandkids and our families, our house projects, and sometimes even our spouses. I know you and I have talked about weird things like "feelings".

But I haven't really known you well enough to discuss genitalia. But now that it's "out"- um, AnOldUR, I have something to tell you. :cross:

Couldn't close HBT fast enough. She came in and read the thread.

All she said was, "Go ahead. Finish your conversation with your ball-less friend."

I'm a lucky guy!

Couldn't close HBT fast enough. She came in and read the thread.

All she said was, "Go ahead. Finish your conversation with your ball-less friend."

I'm a lucky guy!

Yes, you are. :rockin:

I already think she knew about the balllessness, though, I talked to her on Facebook remember? And she wondered who in the world I was? :D

Heisenbeer's Uncertainty Principle. The act of monitoring your brew actually affects it, so you can never quite know the state. In other words, each time you test your beer you add oxygen and bacteria, and perhaps cause the problem you are hoping not to find.

Sounds like Schrödinger's Cat. One could purpose that your beer is in an undeterminable state, both infected and unaffected, until you open and see. But the very opening of said beer increases the chances of infection. It's Russian Roulette!!

Ok ok, so Yooper has no balls and I'm a dick. Goes to show what a guy with 63 posts really knows... maybe once I reach 100 I can chime in.

My sincere condolences to your balls and your beer, Yooper.

Ok ok, so Yooper has no balls and I'm a dick. Goes to show what a guy with 63 posts really knows... maybe once I reach 100 I can chime in.

My sincere condolences to your balls and your beer, Yooper.

Oh, no, you're fine. Of course I have to give you grief.

Trust me, post count is NO indicator of intelligence as is shown by my ridiculously high post count of 43,000 posts. It doesn't mean that I have anything to contribute at all in the way of brewing advice, it just means I"m a big blabbermouth.

I think most people do assume most active contributor on a brewing forum would be guys- and most are. But there are actually quite a few women hanging around as well, and it's nice that brewing is a "blind" hobby in that respect. I know I've been surprised on the soapmaking forum I visit at how many guys are on there and I shouldn't really be assuming that soapmaking is a women's hobby any more than brewing is a man's hobby.

I do get a little miffed at guys posting things like "need to make a chick beer- chicks love fruity light beers" sometimes, though, because most of the women I know wouldn't touch a fruit beer but would love a Russian Imperial Stout.

The one keg of this beer isn't as bad as the other- it's got a definite band-aid aroma but if you can get past that, it's drinkable. Since I just brewed yesterday and I only have a tiny bit of one keg of homebrew left, I think we'll be drinking the band-aid beer until the new one is ready. I'm planning on putting the new IPA on tap on about day 10 (since I have to dryhop it for 3-5 days). So, 9 days to go before I have decent beer. :mad:

I do get a little miffed at guys posting things like "need to make a chick beer- chicks love fruity light beers" sometimes, though, because most of the women I know wouldn't touch a fruit beer but would love a Russian Imperial Stout.

:mad:

yeah but that's because most of em play hockey too...that automatically improves their taste buds where beer is concerned, then you add in the fact that ya'll are in bfe yooper michigan and that explains it.:ban:

Sorry Yoop.

The beer flag is at half mast....
beerflaghalfmast-55977.jpg

Latest posts

Back