Craft brew in trouble???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
Don't mean to sound the alarm but I just had Bud Light Platinum.....apparently it is triple filtered. Has to be quality if it is tripled filtered right?????

I had one last night. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

I'm not worried about craft brew. What ever happened to budweiser ale?

Oh the catch phrases ... ugh... Even the mighty Guinness isn't above it... apparently their Black Lager is "Cold Brewed"... I called them out on their official FB page, but they didn't reply... :D They DID reply to one where I called them out on something about hops, but the reply made barely more sense than their original post LOL

I think they just have to attach a buzz word to it such as triple filtered, triple hopped, or cold brewed. I guess it subconsciously makes us think it must be quality if its triple filtered because other beers must be only double or single filtered, only single hopped or brewed warm...

SWMBO and I were shopping and she spotted some in the grocery store. She said "Bud Lite Platinum? What's that?" I said "Oh, it's probably just some hip new bottle or someth... oh wait... triple filtered? We better get some of that. Whatever the hell that means, it sounds good." She just laughed in my face and we kept shopping.

Don't mean to sound the alarm but I just had Bud Light Platinum.....apparently it is triple filtered. Has to be quality if it is tripled filtered right?????

Quality?
Hear me now: Barring a quantum leap in beer technology based on fundamentally new science, a discovery capable of expanding the boundaries of beereality as we know it, a fundamental uncovering of core physical principle until now undreamed of - in short, gentlemen, until MAN ACHIEVES QUAD FILTERING CAPABILITY, Bud Light Platinum is the Brewing Arts most perfect creation.

Quality?
Hear me now: Barring a quantum leap in beer technology based on fundamentally new science, a discovery capable of expanding the boundaries of beereality as we know it, a fundamental uncovering of core physical principle until now undreamed of - in short, gentlemen, until MAN ACHIEVES QUAD FILTERING CAPABILITY, Bud Light Platinum is the Brewing Arts most perfect creation.

-1 :mug:

Yeah, I was watching those commercials on the Super Bowl while drinking my 1st batch of Pale Ale. It was also 6% ABV, had an amazing citrus-y flavor (Citra hops...yummy), only costs about .35/bottle...but it was hazy because it wasn't TRIPLE FILTERED!!!:(

images

Its a shame they're twist-offs :(

My favorite is whichever beer says they are "Triple Hops Brewed". Not to channel my inner stand-up comedian, but th'f*** does that even mean?!

But these big corporations will do whatever they can to make their mundane crap stand out. My favorites are the companies that post the "no trans fats" labels on regular, unadulterated food. You mean there are no trans fats in my yogurt and my olive oil? No f---ing kidding!!

It's turned into razor wars. Now with 18 blades to cut closer.

New BMC Ocho, it's octo-hopped and octo-filtered! Now available in an 8 pack (because 6 packs suck)!!!!!

It reminds me of small-time pipe tobacco blenders--'hand blended!' I can see hand-selecting leaf, but whether some sweaty guys hands or a machine mixed the varietals doesn't affect the qualty at all.

Laugh all you want but craft brewers are guilty as well with gimmicky marketing. Most of you are just blind to it since they're marketing towards you!

But look at all the clown shoes beers, or Ruthless Rye by SN, plenty of gimmicky marketing and buzzwords flying around the craft beer scene as well.

I'm sure the beer is tripled filtered, I'm sure miller lite is triple hopped, it's not their fault their consumers are uneducated. Ask the normal person what brewing beer means, and they'd probably think of fermentation not the boil - I bet Coors and guiness black lager are fermented cold.

Yeah... I don't think craft brew has anything to worry about...

20120326_craftsales.jpg

I was actually pretty happy about one of the Platinum commercials, it went something like this (paraphrased):

“Go out and enjoy your high calorie craft beer once a week, Bud Light Platinum is for the other 6 days!”

Just goes to show that BMC is feeling the pinch from craft brewing, and is reacting with something a little more (not much) substantial than p*sswater.

But I still think the only people who will actually want to drink this are richie-rich frat boys in college looking to get wasted a little quicker and are too good to buy Keystone Ice.

FWIW I had it at the bar the other day, and I thought it tasted like crap, I think they just used sugar to bump up the ABV. There was barely any taste difference between it and regular BL. I would prefer a classic Bud anyday.

triples have to better than singles-right? that's why my razor has like fifteen blades on it. rather than using multiple strokes, i can use one fell swoop!

I'm working on a BMC beer that is Tiple Hop Brewed, Cold Filtered, has Six Blades, and gives you Three Minute Abs!

I call it Sham Wowweizen.

I'm totally going to grab me a bottle of premium cause the blue color is so sweet! I can use it for a urinal in the garage. And if anyone tries to sneak a drink, thinking it's actually Budweiser, well I guess they might not even notice...

I would hope that consumers could see through this kind of thing. Look at scotch. Is triple malt better than single? No. It means they didn't get it right the first two times.

Laugh all you want but craft brewers are guilty as well with gimmicky marketing. Most of you are just blind to it since they're marketing towards you!

But look at all the clown shoes beers, or Ruthless Rye by SN, plenty of gimmicky marketing and buzzwords flying around the craft beer scene as well.

I'm sure the beer is tripled filtered, I'm sure miller lite is triple hopped, it's not their fault their consumers are uneducated. Ask the normal person what brewing beer means, and they'd probably think of fermentation not the boil - I bet Coors and guiness black lager are fermented cold.

I don't see how Ruthless Rye is gimicky marketing. That's just the name of the beer, they're not pretending like they have some sort of specialized strain of rye that is "ruthless" and therefore better or anything of that nature.

The whole point of mocking things like "triple hopped," triple filtered," "cold brewed," things of that nature is all they are doing is saying things that everyone does and pretending like it's special.

There's a whole great scene in the first episode of Mad Men that plays on this. Basically, they can't advertise the health benefits of cigarettes anymore so they need to come up with a new campaign for Lucky Strike. Don Draper asks the president of Lucky Strike to describe the tobacco making process and he does, Don grasps on the fact that they toast their tobacco.

Well, there you have it - "Lucky Strike, It's Toasted"

Perplexed, the guy says that everyone's tobacco is toasted, to which Don replies "No, everyone's tobacco gives you cancer, yours is toasted."

The whole point is that once you claim something that everyone does as somehow unique to you, they can't advertise that they do it too, because the impact will be lost. You didn't actually do, or change anything, but you are pretending like you are. That's the heart of marketing. When these people come out and tell you that their beer is "triple hopped" all they're basically doing is saying "It's toasted."

I don't feel like giving a product a silly or catchy name is an apt comparison.

Quality?

I LOL'd

TopherM said:
I'm working on a BMC beer that is Tiple Hop Brewed, Cold Filtered, has Six Blades, and gives you Three Minute Abs!

I call it Sham Wowweizen.

I'd drink it!

But wait! There's more!

Back