Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this about a month ago and it's in the bottle for about 2 weeks now.
However now I have a problem I have over 400 bottles of beer and about 10 different beers. So I need to make a drinking schedule to make sure I drink the beers that start to go down hill earlier first.

How would this beer stand the test of time if stored around 55 in my basement?
Does it still taste good after 6 months?

Thanks!

John Maier of Rogue actually recommends a nice secondary to accentuate the malts; I've seen 2-4 weeks at cellar temps. When I brew it again I'm def gonna go for 4 weeks. I don't know about 6 months...you could always check in with it monthly.

So, funny thing...
I went to the LHBS today to pick up the grain bill for this recipe. Didn't realize it at the time but acidentally got 1lb of Melanoidin instead of the Munich. Sooo, we're gonna see how this recipe works out with that substituation instead! Stay tuned for the results.

So, funny thing...
I went to the LHBS today to pick up the grain bill for this recipe. Didn't realize it at the time but acidentally got 1lb of Melanoidin instead of the Munich. Sooo, we're gonna see how this recipe works out with that substituation instead! Stay tuned for the results.

It will probably still turn out good but if you want to stick close to the original recipe I wouldn't sub the Munich 1:1 with Melanoidin. I would cut it in half and increase the base malt to make up the difference.

Yeah, would attempt that if it was an option. But when i get my grains from LHBS, they are crushed and mixed...so no way to substitute. So cant try to substitute anything, because I got what I got.

Yeah, would attempt that if it was an option. But when i get my grains from LHBS, they are crushed and mixed...so no way to substitute. So cant try to substitute anything, because I got what I got.

Don't worry about it- melanoidin malt is like Munich malt, on steroids. :D

The beer is already a malt bomb- this will enhance the malt aroma even more so. It's not as designed, but it will be a rich malty beer. It will be good!

I brewed the original AG method a couple weeks ago. Been fermenting at 60-62 . My question is how long did you guys primary fermenter this one? I tried to flip through...I seem to remember reading 4 weeks but can't find it. Secondary? Or straight to bottles?

My opinion is not to secondary anything. It's another risk for infection and oxidized beer. Straight to the keg from primary for me.

As far as how long, is the gravity stable? Are you in a rush? I usually go 4 weeks from brew to keg because I'm lazy and not in a rush.

I just finished this beer. I had it in the primary for 3 weeks and then kegged it. The gravity sample I pulled tasted pretty green. It's just now rounded out and I kegged it 2 weeks ago. So for me; it took about 5 weeks for it to be ready to drink.

Edit: I also mistakenly substituted the Munich Malt for Melanoidan; so that could account for the longer conditioning time.

https://www.homebrewersassociation....-recipe-of-the-week-rogue-dead-guy-ale-clone/

I found this online. Seems fairly different then the above recipe given (which is what I brewed). The grain bill is diff here, 90 min boil with less hops, mash at a much lower temp. Fermentation is still suggested at 60 and same suggested yeast.

I did a gravity reading of my brew and sampled it yesterday at two weeks primary 60-62 F. OG was 1.065 and gravity now 1.018. Colour is great but finish is what I would call very green and has many harsh flavours. I mashed at 156-158 range, 90 mins single vessle biab. I'm guessing it just takes some time for this baby to mature.

What do you think of the recipe compared to the above pasted.

What is up with this recipe....
Its seems wrong and totally outdated.

It's listed under Lager recipes yet it calls for Pacman or 1056....ale yeast
It's calling for 60 ferment temp yet again its listed under Lagers
It calls for using a secondary at the same 60 deg that for this particular recipe there is no need for..never updated I'm sure is the reason
It calls for a 24 day total ferment that seems way long for an ale not needing a secondary

Whats the deal....looking at making lagers and this has about the most reviews but doesn't make much sense....please inform me

What is up with this recipe....
Its seems wrong and totally outdated.

It's listed under Lager recipes yet it calls for Pacman or 1056....ale yeast
It's calling for 60 ferment temp yet again its listed under Lagers
It calls for using a secondary at the same 60 deg that for this particular recipe there is no need for..never updated I'm sure is the reason
It calls for a 24 day total ferment that seems way long for an ale not needing a secondary

Whats the deal....looking at making lagers and this has about the most reviews but doesn't make much sense....please inform me

No recipe is outdated. It's just what you want to do with it. Just like cooking recipes, you have to hone them to your taste, preferences, and equipment.

Secondary - I don't (and advocate not to) but many people still insist on doing it. Personal preference

Yeast - I believe this was probably originally written for a lager strain, therefore lager temps. Rogue uses pacman, which came available for a short time for us. Recipe was posted when pacman was available. Also IIRC, pacman likes cooler temps. I've used both WLP820 (Ofest Lager) and WLP060 (American Ale) with great results. The WLP060 version won me 2nd place in Hoppy Halloween 2016 in the Bock category.

Temperature - Use a temp that's suitable for your yeast. Easy as that.

Side note, I tried an experiment using 2-row plus a little biscuit malt to replace the Marris Otter. Not a fair fight - Marris Otter won hands down. Go with Marris Otter if you can.

Am I reviving this thread? Had this beer the other day and want to brew it. I think last recipe from Yooper is listed below. I saw other three Dead Guy recipes that use the same hops and most grains except they use 8-10lbs of Pale 2-row instead of Marris Otter. Any comments on why? Also now Pacman is available. Would it be better with Pacman or US-05? If it taste the same I would prefer to use US-05. Hope someone is looking out there.

12 pounds maris otter
1 lb caramunich
1 pound munich
1/2 pound crystal 40
1 ounce Perle (7.7) 60
.5 ounce Perle (7.7) 30
.25 ounce perle 5
.25 ounce Saaz 5

Go for Pac-Man. I also used octoberfest yeast with very good results too

MO will give much more complexity. I made side by side batches with MO VS 2-row and there is no comparison. MO all the way.

Thanks all. I’ll buy the grains to see if I can brew it this weekend. My LHBS has the Pacman so I should be good.

Brewed this recently, and kegged it last weekend. I used 34/70 lager yeast. Enjoying it!

Attachments

• 20200911_165421.jpg
    20200911_165421.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks! I hadn't heard of that one before.....I had heard of San Diego Super (WLP090) being supposedly the same as WY1764. DO you know whether IYA18 is really the same strain as Pac-Man (WY1764)? Or is it just very similar in performance?

Thanks! I hadn't heard of that one before.....I had heard of San Diego Super (WLP090) being supposedly the same as WY1764. DO you know whether IYA18 is really the same strain as Pac-Man (WY1764)? Or is it just very similar in performance?
No, I do not know. Hopefully someone who does will respond.

Back