Keezer Project Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarRaptor

Reaction score
Slowly but surely my keezer project is starting to get off the ground

I have the freezer

I just won a new Guinness Stout Facet and keg coupler off of eBay

By the end of the month I should have a keg set up (from Eric) at which point I will build a collar for the freezer.

Today I think I nailed down the direction I want to go for my theme.

I'd like to get some input on which design to go with.

Here are some quick mock ups

Design 1

keezer-design-1--large-msg-12797563808606.jpg

Design 2

keezer-design-2--large-msg-12797564019682.jpg

Bonus points go to who can tell me where its from.

Dr. Jones!

oh and I like the top one. But, if you are going for authenticity then I would see how the shipping crates are setup in the movie.

I'm a hands on learner, so I knew that if I wanted to learn about the draft serving process the best thing to do would be to build one for myself.

I finalized the design

Crate_3.png

I found a nice deep freeze one for around $80 off of craigslist

Keezer_001.JPG

it is a not an inexpensive project so between my daughter, food and brewing supplies it took me while to save up enough to even get the collar built and I knew I wanted at least three taps on hand when I started.

Last weekend (10/16 and 10/17) it was time to get a move on at least to the point of having it usable. I figure in December I'll add the forth tap and skin it.

First step is lid removal, I'd seen some recommendation of using a nail to keep the hinges shut, this is important as I at first used small nails. once I had removed the bolts the hinge had enough force to put a 90 degree bend in it and it was not easy to get it to reset from only half way opened. Also I decide I wanted to attach the collar to the lid vs the wall. I did this so that when all the hoses and taps are in place they can be lifted away to have better access to the kegs. I also added a good 7 inches with a collar that I would have to lift a keg over.

Keezer_002.JPG

Next I decided I wanted to save the seal gasket, so I removed the tabs holding it on which also connected the plastic piece to the top which I knew I would want removed to attach the collar to.

Keezer_006.JPG

Next came attaching a piece of scrape plywood I got at home depot for 51 cents (probably the cheapest thing on the entire build) to the lid. I attached it with exterior screws and a tube of Liquid Nails. I found the 2 inch clamps at home depot for 99 cents each. in retrospect 2 more would have been prefect

Keezer_007.JPG

While the lid was drying I started on the collar, I bought a 10 foot 2X8 and had them cut it into 2 41 inch boards and had them split the reminder in half which came to be 19inches each. I cut an inch off each of the side boards (should have only taken off 3/4 of an inch oh well) and screwed it together.

Keezer_009.JPG

tossed the lid on quick to get a sense of how it would look and make some markings

Keezer_010.JPG

Next I attached the collar to the lid with lots of brackets and screws

Keezer_011.JPG

here it is bracketed up with the seal back on. I took a tube of mold resistant exterior seal and sealed everything up. I also grabbed a can of exterior polyurethane and put on three costs to seal the wood

Keezer_015.JPG

The lid and collar are back on and it opens. To reinforce the hinges I sandwiched the wood at the hinge between 8 6 inch plates you'll see it in a bit

Keezer_020-20101018.JPG

Next I ran my airline through the hole I drilled and attached the manifold to the collar

Keezer_022.JPG

I also decided to attach my Johnson Controller to the side

Keezer_023.JPG

Time to attach the taps, first I attached the shanks, then the taps, then the handles to help me straighten them out. I decide to temporarily add my "Home Brewed" opener I won in a homebrew contest to where tap hole four will one day reside.

Keezer_027.JPG

Finally the lid with the spilled over Liquid Nails and sealant was bothering me, and while I plan on covering it long term I decided spray paint it SNB Red

Keezer_029-20101018.JPG

Keezer_030.JPG

Tonight I will clean the lines and pour myself some test pints!

Look out for more updates come December

I see your a Stone fan, the guy in my local home brew shop told me the other day that Stone will take over the world.

Last weekend I disassembled it to start phase 2 so let’s get an update

First off I really scored this time around in the scrap wood department the bulk of the wood purchased for the skin cost me 51 cents a board and all were 45-50 inches which allowed me to cut in half and cover both sides and half the top!
IMG_0219.JPG

First thing I needed to do was trim the plastic so it would be flush, quick work with my chisel
IMG_0220.JPG

Next I attached a small piece of wood in front of the existing holes to help level it so that when I attached the shanks it would have something to reinforce it. (Does that sentience make sense?) I also added shims for the same purpose. Then I redrilled the holes (Plus added the forth)
IMG_0223.JPG

Side panels attached with liquid nails curing overnight
IMG_0224.JPG

front panels added
IMG_0228.JPG

I attached the front using some heavier grade adhesive and nailed it to the side boards two at a time
IMG_0229.JPG

Added the top panels, the saw ran out of juice so I kept going with the intent on trimming once attached…
IMG_0230.JPG

…like this
IMG_0231.JPG

Johnson Controller remounted
IMG_0232.JPG

Cleaned up and put away for now…
IMG_0233.JPG

So what’s left?
1) Trim the back and…
2) add the wood to the very bottom of the front then…
3) drill a hole for the drain
4) add the side straps
5) have my wife stencil the front
6) reattach the facets and shanks
7) breaking it in party! Second weekend in January so the 14th 15th or 16th – just need to decide on a Stone 5 gallon keg to get.

Ok more pictures so the finalizing of the keezer

when we left it, it looked like this
IMG_0233.JPG

Here's me removing the stencil. I thought it would be 3 inch stencils now I'm thinking it should have been 2 inch
IMG_0257.JPG

Another shot of the freshly stenciled keezer
IMG_0256.JPG

Completed!
IMG_0259.JPG

Last night I hooked up a keg of Stone IPA and pulled my self a pint official making it complete!

Latest posts

Back