First batch in a long while

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedgull

Reaction score
Hi all - just joined this morning

I am hoping to have assembled my lab by saturday and brewing then or sunday.

Planning a pale ale
6 lbs. of Pale Malt Extract
Fuggles(boil) and goldings(finishing)

I would like to steep some grains...

Any suggestions of what to look for when I go shopping tomorrow?

Freedgull

I just did an IPA with 6 lbs xlight DME, 2lbs 2 row, and .75lbs light crystal. Racked it last night to secondary, and it was good, though being an IPA, I used more hops than are required for your recipe.

the 2 row is malted grain that will produce fermentable, and expand the flavor beyond just extract. the crystal gives is a litte color and taste.

I'm doing a pale ale this weekend, same hops. Recipe calls for some crystal (half a pound, I think of 20L). It also has some Munich malt, but I think that needs to be mashed (this is my first mash, and first time using Munich). But, little bit of crystal wouldn't hurt at all.

Fuggles & Goldings, looks like you are on track for a Brown. Try 12 oz of Chocolate malt and 12 oz of caramel (40-80L)

last min change of mind
Bittering: Northern Brewer
Finishing: Goldings

Think I will steep some Crystal Malt

My new equipment is arriving this afternoon - Can't wait to get brewing.

Looks like you are on your way. How did you make out at the Grape and Grain? Are they going to be a legit supplier for you?

he conducts all business over the phone which means I don't get to have a browse... Seems well enough stocked but no liquid yeast - disaster.

I'll have to mail order it from somewhere...

FWIW, I use mostly dry yeast, specifically SafeAle S-04 and S-56. I have done some liquid yeast brews, and I feel that the new safales hold their own.
You could buy liquid, then culture and reuse the yeast in order to keep cost down. I don't like the cost of liquid, so that is why I originally tried the SafeAle. Now, I use it because I like it.

In the interest of full disclosure, for some specific recipes that call for liquid, I do use it.

If you're just doing a generic pale ale, a good dry yeast is fine. I'm using SafeAle 56 for my pale ale this weekend. If you're ordering some, get a couple of extras to keep in the fridge for emergencies.

Back