Milk Pail for Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craven_morhead

Reaction score
So I have a 5 gallon (I think) stainless steel milk pail laying around. Any thoughts on using it as a secondary? It has a lid that seals fairly tightly, but not airtight. Is it worth the trouble mucking about with it? Would I need to make it seal tight and drill it for an airlock? Inquiring minds...

seems like a lot of work to me when you have ale pails and carboys.

I'm assuming you have ale pails at least? just secondary in those.

If the lids aren't tight, you're at a little bit of risk, and the extra work of drilling for an airlock - I'd just stick with your primary vessel and give the dairy back their pail

I'm sure it would work just fine. If you could find a gasket or something the right size to get a good seal then it would be great. There is no fermentation happening in secondary, so you are going to want to make sure that there is no leaks for oxygen to get in. I think it's a worthy project just for the hell of it. But then again I'm into that sort of thing.

Like AZ said though an ale pail with lid is like 7 bucks or whatever, and a carboy isn't that expensive either. Unless you want to use milk pail for some specific reason I would suggest these alternatives to ensure good beer. Maybe get the carboy or bucket and work on the milk pail as a side project.

Back