First Ever AG Batch -new castle clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinvalet

Reaction score
Did my first AG batch this past Saturday. It was quite interesting. I didn't use the cooler method but the giant nylon bag and boil route. It seemed easy enough and I am trying not spend entire paychecks on brewing beer. Its only my 3rd batch total. Went from all extract, to partial and now All Grain. Its a Newcastle Clone recipe I found on here and only changed the yeast type. Thought I would try it with Burton Ale Yeast, little more fruit and honey flavor. The Air Lock smells like a fruit market.

Its also going to be my first Keg batch. I purchased a 2-corny keg system for a fridge. My friend works at an apartment complex thats in the midst of replacing all the fridges and are giving them away.

Have my fingers crossed.

Excellent choice for a first brew. I hope it comes out tasting as splendid as new castle does. Question, when you say you used a giant nylon bag did you sparge somehow? Or was it more like a partial mash?

I found a posting of how to do everything with out all the equipemnt. I pulled the bag out of the water after 60 minutes and drained as best I could. Moved it to another pot that I heated to 180 degrees and turned heat off. Sat in there for 10 minutes and drained again. Put the two batches together and than did a normal boil.

Heh, that was my first AG too! I used Whitbread, but Burton sounds like it could be pretty tasty ^_^

Good luck! Let us know how it comes out.

Back