Letting Beer Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
I simply wanted to post a personal experience I'm having as I type. I brewed a simple wheat beer in the first quarter of this year (3/28). Long story short it was my third all-grain recipe and my efficiency from my previous two was all over the place. So I was not sure what my grain bill should be and I over shot my OG by a TON. It ended up having an OG of 1.071. I realized I could have diluted it but I decided to go with it and see what it was like. Ontop of this I wasn't able to control the fermentation temp and it was around 75-80 at some points.

After I bottled I gave it some time but the beer always tasted "hot" and like I mixed some cheap vodka in with it. I have let it sit now since bottling at about 65F and I just opened one and the cheap alcohol taste is for the most part gone (slight hint). The beer still tastes too strong for being so light in color (4.5srm) but it is actually a beer that I can drink now.

I'm not saying the beer is medal winner but at least it proves the point that given enough time the yeast can really fix a lot of MY screw ups. Maybe they can fix global warming too.

I've never had a beer tast worse after sitting for a few months. Even my buddies 12 year old ale was fantastic. Revvy, care to chime in?

No need to, he said it all!!!

applause.gif

:D

...fix global warming...hmmm, it's a thought. You make some excellent points. I think the best thing I've ever done for my beer is just leave alone in a nice, cool closet for a little while.

Back