Cloudy American Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shake

Reaction score
What techniques would you use to keep your American Wheat beers cloudy? With my research so far I've learned that torrified wheat will help, and a low flocculating yeast. I've heard that a protein rest will also help. Any other tips?

I add a tbsp of all purpose flour in the last 5 minutes of the boil, this keeps the beer hefe-hazy almost indefinately.

I've just started brewing more witbiers and have come across this technique a lot. Does it actually keep the yeast in suspension, or just give the appearance of it being cloudy?

I've just started brewing more witbiers and have come across this technique a lot. Does it actually keep the yeast in suspension, or just give the appearance of it being cloudy?

It just gives the appearance, the yeast will still drop out eventually, I keg and found this little trick to keep my hefes looking right til the last pint. the flavor is still the same, it just clears up as it sits. the flour just keeps the proper appearance.

I was coming in to mention flour as well if kegging, but see I missed the boat. If bottling, just tip the bottle back and forth a few times before pouring or pour all but the last inch, turn on side, roll back and forth, pour remaining beer.

Back