Making 6 gallons with liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketrum

Reaction score
I always brew 6 galons at a time with liquid yeast. Is it ok to use a combination of liquid yeast with half a pack of dry yeast rehydrated? Or is the 1 package of liquid yeast made for 5 gallons ok for the extra gallon?

miketrum said:
I always brew 6 galons at a time with liquid yeast. Is it ok to use a combination of liquid yeast with half a pack of dry yeast rehydrated? Or is the 1 package of liquid yeast made for 5 gallons ok for the extra gallon?
extra dry yeast shouldn't be necessary. just make a starter from the liquid yeast and you'll be good.

I would use one or the other. Particularly if the liquid yeast is a different strain from the dry yeast, because you would be adulterating the flavors of the liquid yeast strain by mixing in the dry.

I'm sure the liquid yeast would ferment 6g no problem, but as Lou points out definitely make a starter. None of the 'pitchable' yeast products other than dry yeast have an optimum cellcount for 5g of wort, much less 6g.

Back