Star San warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hi folks,

This is completely my own fault - no one to blame but me...

What ever you do, if you have Formica counters, don't ever allow a Star San solution to come in contact with the counter! I left some items to dry on the counter only to find that the Star San did a great job of bleaching!

Regardless SWMBO is pissed (and I have to admit - I am also - as this countertop is less than a year old).

- alex

holy crap man that blows BUT thanks for the warning Im about to start using starsan and I JUST got done remodeling the kitchen. I too would BE PISSED.
JJ

Thanks for the info... We haven't had any issues with star san bleaching anything we use, including hand towels, grout, etc. Any other possibilities of why this would have happened?

here is the msds on Star San. I didn't realize it can create chlorine gas if it comes in contact with chlorine based substances...http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/msds/starsan.pdf

It's totally possible that some kind of combination of chemicals caused the problem, but we only use 'green' cleaners in our home (expect for brewing of course) and we don't use bleach anywhere expect the laundry.

I really do think it was just the acid nature of the mix that caused it.

In my experience it's not wise to even let water set on formica. Even that will stain if left long enough.

Shoulda' ponied up for the Corian. At least then you might be able to polish the stain out.

Yea got me too. Fortunately for me the counter is in a basement bar area. The most dangerous situation I believe is the concentrated form. Never ever place a bottle of concentrate on a formica surface. Sometimes there is residual product that dripped down the botttle and will leave the imprint of the bottle stained on the counter.

W/ my damage it appears it actually altered the surface gloss more than the color.

I've been trying to come up w/ some sort of repair...If i find any remedies, I'll post.

Revvy said:
A lot of people use starsan to get the paint/silkscreen off of bottles like Rogue and stone...so if it can eat paint, it can eat a lot of things....
What concentration is required for this? I have some rogue bottles i would like to clean up.

We went back and forth about the Formica vs. Corian vs. granite that the builder was offering. There was no up-charge for the Formica, but they wanted 8,000 for the Corian and a bunch more for the granite.

In the end, we looked at prices for after-market Corian and granite and decided we could do better. However, the more we lived with the Formica, we decided it was just fine. Until this, we didn't have any problems with it, as it's not like the 'old' Formica.

Actually, this is an opportunity for me to nudge swmbo into allowing me to put in a stainless steel sink like this one:

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Pot-and-Dish-Sink1-16Wx20D-Sink-Bowl-1-18-Drainboard-c116p15488.html

beergears said:
How about replicating problem in another, semi-hidden area and do some experimenting there, instead of main, full-view , damage..?

In the end, I am 100% sure that this is what caused the problem and besdies, we really don't have any hidden areas to test... maybe on the side of the counter next to the fridge...

that would be an awesome brew space sink... We have been considering some sort of shop sink for our brewing area to save trips to the bathroom/kitchen for cleaning.

I have a similar sink without the drainboard.
While the basin is deep, you need to have a sprayer fixture or a faucet with a high arching bend so that you can rinse and wash carboys and cornies.

The default one I have is just barley able to fit over a carboy but not a cornie. I will eventually replace it.

wilserbrewer said:
Yea got me too. Fortunately for me the counter is in a basement bar area. The most dangerous situation I believe is the concentrated form. Never ever place a bottle of concentrate on a formica surface. Sometimes there is residual product that dripped down the botttle and will leave the imprint of the bottle stained on the counter.

W/ my damage it appears it actually altered the surface gloss more than the color.

I've been trying to come up w/ some sort of repair...If i find any remedies, I'll post.

This happened to me also. I had a small bottle of Star San and hid the mark with a bottle of soap. So far SWMBO hasn't said anything.

If you come up with that fix, let me know.

My wife has agreed to allow me to convert an area of our basement that I currently use as my brew area into a bar, at which point I mentioned that it would be SOOOO much better if we integrated the brewing into the bar! Kind of a mini brew pup. Hence the stainless steel sink and whatnot.

So, in principle I plan on placing a commercial sink and drain counter behind the bar and trim it up with some granite to make it look nice and integrated for when we have to sell the place.

Basically (to maintain the resale value) we are creating a second kitchen in the basement. The home came with an optional bar downstairs - which we scoffed at - so it won't appear out of place. So far we have a home theater (nice speakercraft speakers and a 12 foot projection screen), and a full bath... we want to make sure it's all integrated in nicely so it doesn't actually look like a cheap-ass bar but at the same time make it utilitarian enough for us to use it for wine and beer making.

My chemistry is a bit rusty but doesn't chlorine bleach mixed with any acid create chlorine gas?

I just went and move my bottle of Starsan off the counter...no imprint though.

This is the laminate under my sink cabinet. Guess where the Startsan was stored.

CIMG2341.JPG

Well I guess I know what the mystery stain is from now.
All along I thought the swmbo had placed something hot on the counter and burned it. Now I have an excuse to replace w/ Corian.:D

GilaMinumBeer said:
In my experience it's not wise to even let water set on formica. Even that will stain if left long enough.

Shoulda' ponied up for the Corian. At least then you might be able to polish the stain out.

Nope. Exactly the same thing happened to me with a Corian counter top.

One time I had a bottle of Star-San that leaked the concentrate out into the bottom of my "brew-bin"; a huge rubbermaid tub I store my crap in. That stuff ate through tubing, cardboard, and damn near everything else. This may sound crazy, but I think some got onto my concrete garage floor and actually etched it. It sat for a week or so, and to this day there's a rough spot in the floor where the stain was :D

Starsan also eats carpet!!

I have a 4" dia. circle on my carpet where the starsan leaked!!! Turned the carped to mush.

Thanks for the tip! I had been considering switching to starsan for my next bottle, but Iodophor really hasn't done me any wrong aside from making plastic yellow. (which in itself is somewhat of a benefit, it helps me track when a racking hose should be replaced!)

iodine will also take the color out of things, so your still not safe (get some on your black shirt). Depending on the original color, it may add color. (skin)

chillHayze said:
Starsan also eats carpet!!

I have a 4" dia. circle on my carpet where the starsan leaked!!! Turned the carped to mush.

Yep, it munches rugs too! The rug in front of our sink has spots in it from splashes.

It will also etch any Low -E film on windows near the sink too.

starsan is an acid right? A strong one at that I assume.... so whatever you wouldn't want acid touching... don't let starsan touch.

My two cents....

I use a shot glass to measure my Star San prior to dispensing. During my last brew session I placed the Star San soaked shot glass on my brew rig's Corian countertop. I wiped the countertop down several hours later and noticed a white ring where the shot glass was placed :mad::mad:

After cussing myself, because I had read this thread earlier, I decided to try a Magic Eraser on the stain the next day. Whalla...it worked:):)

I may have been lucky since the stain was a new one, but perhaps it can work for you too.

I tried using the Magic Eraser - didn't work. Good idea though. I actually had my "one year walk through" with my housing developer and I tried to blame the stains on them... that didn't work either :) The developer sent his counter guy and he tried lots of different chemicals, etc... and nothing worked.

My wife and I plan on installing quartz or marble anyhow so it's not big deal. I don't even notice the stains anymore.

If you have installed a cast iron porcelain lined Kohler kitchen sink that's brand new you will see etched in dull spots that will destroy a high dollar sink. I used some cleaner on the old Kohler porcelain sink as a test item it was all chipped up and this is what I found. I did not have the balls to test the granite counter tops got over $5K invested in them alone. I will show a kitchen with everything that's perfect when this becomes a rental house. I also used stainless tank wash cleaner from a friends tank wash business as well their aluminum brightner cut with 50% water it ate the old porcelain sinks finish. Even concentrated 200, 300 or 400 grain vinegar my friend transports daily will etch into 304 stainless not alone a porcelain sinks gloss finish and especially a marble counter top. He had a custom made tank all 316 by Beal, a quality tank company. Kohler does not use low quality porcelian on their products last time I checked. Now if you take 3 or 400 grain as week control worked instantly spraying and killing weeds in sidewalk joints they will become a 1" thick foam layer until scrubbed with brush and neutralized many times but still leaving a white mark. Well I did a 4 flag section of the driveway ramp to make it blend in evenly. The granite cutoff sample took it like a champ but I will not tell the tenants this. I have seen burnt counters from overheated cast iron frying pans placed on the counters not alone cigarette butt burns.

One tenant two blocks away 56 years old was locked out so rips the basement storage and storm door off its big barn door hinges to break into the house thru the basement, yes I was home with spare keys less than a minute away on foot. Plastic float with plastic tube on the toilet flushwould stick once every couple months, he sprays WD 40 on everything including the walls and the 1" octagon tile floor, a 1913 house fully upgraded. dumb azz Engineer, dumber than a rock.
No smokings allowed in my rentals houses is right in the lease contract or any painting at all. I saw spilled paint coming from the sealed and locked off garage on both sides for a wood carving shop. His deposit loss will reflect damages. He sprayed acid base wheel cleaner on his Honda, guess what the acid did to the cement?

I had tar dripping off the windows on another rental spent $2,375 to have the tar chemically lifted and washed thruout the house walls a ceilings with a crew wearing pressurized maskes with gloves and scrub brushes then a vacuum system yes that bad. Roof leaked, plaster fell off the walls and radiused ceilings in sections besides black mold, cat pissed on the carpets. Window AC dripped wrecking the hardwood floor from dripping hence the oval carpet always there. At 6 year and counting on this restorarion a 1905 house with old world charm, new copper, central heating double panel "E" gas rated windows new roof and insulation, sewer and releveled. back of house to back building is 89' deep. I'm way off topic sorry just pissed when I hear tenant rights. It's not their $585,000 and $742,000 bank note and taxes they're paying on these invenstments so why take good care of the rentals? This is why they live in rentals. Meds and flu got me rambling mods remove this last section if my reply is deemed necessary. I respect your openions. Just found our thursday the tenant used / removed the french drain cap that goes around the property to hose off the cement of grass cuttings, gravel, leaves and mud before it rains. The rubber cap is screwed on with a worn gear stainless clamp just below grade so now the 1/2" wall by 48" diameter 80 gallon tank and 3/4 hp sump pump are jammed up with GFI tripped. Yes a steel cover with a layer of bricks covering the sump system for the trash cans to sit on and it's raining. I'm dead off my butt with the flu too sick to die.

Maybe it could take a stain out of white carpet? Some very red juice got spilled by the former tenant's friend.....I was there, but I rented the place anyway....

iodine will also take the color out of things, so your still not safe (get some on your black shirt). Depending on the original color, it may add color. (skin)

Yup, I came in here to post this.

I have a darker brown T, that now has some scattered orange spots on it from the iodophor.

Maybe it could take a stain out of white carpet? Some very red juice got spilled by the former tenant's friend.....I was there, but I rented the place anyway....

Blotting any wine stains with oxyclean gets them right out. My wife was helping me make a wine kit one day during which she was supposed to pour the concentrate into the bucket. She missed the bucket and hit our white wall. After me pissing and moaning we just damped a towel with oxyclean and it got the red out right away. You can still see a discoloration where the wine spilled on the wall but that is manageable.

I had the glass of red wine spill on my white carpet... and bed... again blotting it with oxyclean got it right out.

I would be hesitant to use Starsan on anything but my brewing equipment.

Back