whiskey chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roasty257

Reaction score
So I really want to brew and get a good whiskey flavor like you would get from fermenting in a whiskey barrel, but I don't want to brew a big 50 gallon batch. I have been thinking about just using did chips that you would use for smoking but I don't know if that would just ruin the beer by causing infection. I also don't know when the right time to add the chips

So I really want to brew and get a good whiskey flavor like you would get from fermenting in a whiskey barrel, but I don't want to brew a big 50 gallon batch. I have been thinking about just using did chips that you would use for smoking but I don't know if that would just ruin the beer by causing infection. I also don't know when the right time to add the chips

What I like to do is soak about 1 ounce of oak chips in some bourbon (for my bourbon barrel beers) for about 3 weeks (during fermentation of the beer) and then use those chips, along with the bourbon in the jar, in secondary.

I did that with a big American amber, and it was sooooo good!

You could soak your chips (regular oak chips, not "smoking chips" but the regular oak chips from the homebrew store) in 2 cups of whiskey for a couple of weeks, and then use that (whiskey and all) in secondary. That would probably give you what you're looking for.

I'm not a whiskey kind of girl, so I've never tried that. but the bourbon? Oh, yeah!!

I use 2-3oz of oak chips soaking in 2-3 jiggers of Beam's Black in an airtight container ( I like the Oscar Meyer deli containers)in the fridge during primary. Then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie it off,& drop it in. Rack the beer onto it seal & airlock it. Check it 5-7 days later with a shot glass to see if the strength is where I want it. I'm kickin around the idea of doing it with a PM milk stout. Iced coffee bourbon flavor anyone?!

Latest posts

Back