Please review my next brew plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx-brewer

Reaction score
Ok, so have done one extract and one ag biab (3 gal). I would like to do a partial mash (5 gal) because my brew pot is a little small to do ag 5 gal. My pot is about 6 gallons I believe. I want to do northern brewers caribou slobber but I changed things in beersmith a bit to ingredients I can get at my lhbs and a few other small changes, increased size to 5.5 gal. I plan on doing biab and dunk sparge and would like to boil as much water as I feel safe doing, then topping off with cold water in the primary.

Anyone mind reviewing my recipe and making sure everything looks right. I have attached the beersmith recipe, beersmith "instructions", and original caribou slobber ag recipe.

Thanks in advanced.

cs1.jpg

cs2.jpg

cs3.jpg

Once you're past the danger point of boilovers, you could just add boiling water to the pot if you wanted to boil the full amount. This would be my strategy for IPAs and anything else highly dependent on hop utilization. For this particular beer, topping up post-boil is fine. If you use a 10lb (1.25 gallon) bag of ice instead of cold water, you'll chill much faster. With a partial boil and a bigger batch size, you'll lose some IBUs from the NB version. Assuming you haven't made your purchase yet, I'd switch the Goldings to something in the 7-8% range.

Thanks for the info. I will add boiling water and shoot for about 4 to 4.25 after boil so I can add 10 ice to cool and bring up to the amount I want. Any recommendations on a different hop to use?

Or should I use the same hops since I should be close to full boil? I don't mind if its slightly less bitter, as ling as the flavors remain balanced

At 60 minutes, it doesn't really matter what the flavor is like, since it will all boil off. Northern Brewer is probably close, but there's bound to be something available at the right strength.

Ok, gotcha. I'm going to get ingredients after class, so ill see what they have and maybe they can look over my plan as well. Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate it.

Back