New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FedEx just dropped off my new 7.5" x 14" 300 mesh filter! This thing looks great and the metal work is excellent - good welds, no burrs, ground down where it needs to be, etc. Chad, you definitely do nice work! Can't wait to brew...I actually owe one of the guys I work with a brew day so hopefully if the weather holds out I'll test it out this Sunday!

IMG_20130116_184001.jpg

IMG_20130116_184023.jpg

IMG_20130116_184033.jpg

IMG_20130116_184057.jpg

FedEx just dropped off my new 7.5" x 14" 300 mesh filter! This thing looks great and the metal work is excellent - good welds, no burrs, ground down where it needs to be, etc. Chad, you definitely do nice work! Can't wait to brew...I actually owe one of the guys I work with a brew day so hopefully if the weather holds out I'll test it out this Sunday!

How big is your keggle top opening? Did you have to give him the distance from the outside to the inside of your opening so the hanger support would be the right length?

Okay - since I got my screen (300 micron, 6x14) I've only brewed lightly bittered beers. Hadn't really put it to the test until today when I brewed an IIPA with 7.25 ounces in the boil (6.25 pellet & 1 leaf.). I kept a close eye on it, with a vigorous boil (needed to lose some volume anyway.). Halfway through there was pellet scum on top, but as you can see, it was moving:

and by the end with all 7.25 ounces in I could see some evidence of boil just inside the screen. I'll know in a month or so if I have the full 91 IBU in the finished beer, but I feel confident it will be there.

*edit* - needed to fix iPhones "corrections." Also those links are to videos so you can hopefully see what I'm talking about :D

After I pulled the scene out ( I left it in for most of the cool down) I took about a minute for the remaining wort to drip out. It left a tightly compacted amount of spent wort - and when I am finished pitching, I know I can turn the screen upside down in the trash can and give it one tap before it will fall out.

image-2545833825.jpg

image-1833489967.jpg

Give it a shot. If you don't like it for the boil, it actually works great to strain the wort going into the fermenter and aerate it as well.

I've found my beers clear a bit sooner with not having all the crap in the fermenter. If anything, it's easier to clean the carboys out.

Aerate? How in the world does that work?

Aerate? How in the world does that work?

Put the strainer over a funnel if your use a carboy, or put it over the top of a bucket.

Pour your wort into it. It strains it, and because it's going through the screen, it will break the surface area of the pour into fermenting vessel of your choice. That screen will assist in adding air to your beer if you don't use an O2 set up.

How big is your keggle top opening? Did you have to give him the distance from the outside to the inside of your opening so the hanger support would be the right length?

The keggle opening is approximately 10.5 inches in diameter. Didn't get a chance to brew yesterday so I'll have to wait until after this snow storm we're getting here in Boston. On the plus side I just got a line on two 15.5 gallon sankeys so I can start building my all grain setup for 10 gallon batches!

Put the strainer over a funnel if your use a carboy, or put it over the top of a bucket.

Pour your wort into it. It strains it, and because it's going through the screen, it will break the surface area of the pour into fermenting vessel of your choice. That screen will assist in adding air to your beer if you don't use an O2 set up.

Ah. Gotcha.

Shaking the fermenter vigorously for 45 seconds or 5 minutes with a aquarium stone and air pump gets you to 8 ppm O2 . That's as high as you're going to get without pure oxygen infusion from a tank.

I thought you were saying it somehow got you above that mark. My mistake.

Ah. Gotcha.

Shaking the fermenter vigorously for 45 seconds or 5 minutes with a aquarium stone and air pump gets you to 8 ppm O2 . That's as high as you're going to get without pure oxygen infusion from a tank.

I thought you were saying it somehow got you above that mark. My mistake.

Nah.. Saves the shaking, and strains the wort. Double duty if you care to use it that way.

Thought I would bump the thread. Just ordered one today from Chad. Got a stock unit that is 4" x 10" (300 micron) screen. Sent an email last night, he responded at 5am this morning, and had one in the mail before 10am. AWESOME!

I will post back with my pictures and review when I get a chance to brew with it...hopefully soon! :)

Zach over at stainless brewing made this one for us. It is very well built, even has an internal "frame" to support 3 or 4 pounds of hops. It is 12x24 400 micron.

It didnt fare so well as FedEx must have treated it like a jumping bag! So, back to the shop to have re-built, then will give it a trial run!

i-Gj9qrXx-X2.jpg

i-8MNjRX4-X2.jpg

br1dge said:
Zach over at stainless brewing made this one for us. It is very well built, even has an internal "frame" to support 3 or 4 pounds of hops. It is 12x24 400 micron.

It didnt fare so well as FedEx must have treated it like a jumping bag! So, back to the shop to have re-built, then will give it a trial run!

Hey, that's cool but what's up with the large hose clamps and rivets? Do you have any more pics of the inside? That must be going in a large drum like a 42 or 55 gallon barrel. Where's the pot? I'd like to see that too!

br1dge said:

Also, how much did that beast cost?

I'm guessing he's going to use it in a keggle, since it's sitting next to a keg, and appears to be perfectly sized for it.

marcb said:
Hey, that's cool but what's up with the large hose clamps and rivets? Do you have any more pics of the inside? That must be going in a large drum like a 42 or 55 gallon barrel. Where's the pot? I'd like to see that too!

It is going in a 42g from bubbas barrels. I didn't take pics of the inside, but will once we get the new one... On ipad so can't link, but we have another thread open with a pic of the kettle..

Put beside the keg as to have a reference of scale.. We paid around 130 for it..

It is going in a 42g from bubbas barrels. I didn't take pics of the inside, but will once we get the new one... On ipad so can't link, but we have another thread open with a pic of the kettle..

Put beside the keg as to have a reference of scale.. We paid around 130 for it..

As soon as we get it back we'll beef it up with some 1/4". I was pretty sick when we shipped this and wasn't thinking right. I caught that nasty bug like every one else that turned my brain to mush. We'll do something like this for you that will make it nice and rigid. If we get it tomorrow as planned I should be able to get it back out Monday.
int.jpg
inter.jpg

Hey, that's cool but what's up with the large hose clamps and rivets?
Unfortunately I don't have the tooling to make the welded seam to join the mesh. The clamps are very quick to install or uninstall if you decide to use the upper ring with a bag.

StainlessBrewing said:
Unfortunately I don't have the tooling to make the welded seam to join the mesh. The clamps are very quick to install or uninstall if you decide to use the upper ring with a bag.

That seems like an interesting approach, you could even potentially switch mesh sizes (one for grain, one for pellet hops) although I don't know how practical that would be.... Thanks for the pics, is that my beer next to the filter?

It's kind of a real pain to get it back together. Mine got jostled a bit too much during shipping and I had to adjust the bottom. 25 minutes and two holes in the wall later it was fixed

StainlessBrewing said:
As soon as we get it back we'll beef it up with some 1/4". I was pretty sick when we shipped this and wasn't thinking right. I caught that nasty bug like every one else that turned my brain to mush. We'll do something like this for you that will make it nice and rigid. If we get it tomorrow as planned I should be able to get it back out Monday.

Thanks Zach!

Can't wait to get it back and put it to the test. If you remember please send us one additional extension as we put the 4th one on there and you sent us 3 originally. Thanks again.

I owe everybody on this thread an apology, I received my 400 filter from Chad but haven't had time to do the head to head brew with the 300 yet! Sick baby apparently trumps brew days! My wife is a saint and puts up with a lot but it looks like another week or two before I will get the opportunity to do this! Sorry!

Here's how I do the tall baskets.
Full Seam Weld and 1/2x1/8 Flat Stock.
Fedex Has not smashed one yet.

0127130951.jpg

0127130950.jpg

chads454 said:
Here's how I do the tall baskets.
Full Seam Weld and 1/2x1/8 Flat Stock.
Fedex Has not smashed one yet.

Hey Chad, so that's a grain filter and on top you've got a hop basket? How big is that setup?

made batches #5 & 6 with my filter (actually #7 if you count the one my buddy borrowed it for) and i have nothing but positive things to say about it. very happy with my purchase. if i get another i'd probably go with a 400 since a 300 seems to hold things back a little too much, but it's not anything i can't deal with (ladle wort in the top, lift the filter once or twice during the boil so that it drains, etc). if you've ever used hop bags, this thing is a hundred times easier to deal with.

I owe everybody on this thread an apology, I received my 400 filter from Chad but haven't had time to do the head to head brew with the 300 yet! Sick baby apparently trumps brew days! My wife is a saint and puts up with a lot but it looks like another week or two before I will get the opportunity to do this! Sorry!

No problem as most of us know how it is (at least I do...times two). I am interested in your experiment because I have recently decided to give this a shot and need to know which one to go with.

I just bought a small 300 model. I am going to try recirculating through it after my whirlpool to see if it catches more hop matter. I got one of the early stainless brewing models and just have too much hop gunk left behind after the boil so hoping to use this as an after filter so to speak with my jamil chiller setup. Will update the thread when I get a chance to try this.

I have the 400 stainless brewing. Anyone else having issues with a ton of hop matter getting through it..?
it's a trade-off. there is lots of material of various sizes. 300 could let through a little more, 400 might let through a little too much... guess ya gotta choose.

when are we going to have that 300 vs 400 comparison?!?

it's a trade-off. there is lots of material of various sizes. 300 could let through a little more, 400 might let through a little too much... guess ya gotta choose.

when are we going to have that 300 vs 400 comparison?!?

Soon as SWMBO sanctions my next brew day.... I may just need to take a day off of work to get a brew day in. Sounds like I need to get this done : )

itzkramer said:
marcb, the world is waiting!

Monday, Feb 4th is the day. View the event live on PPV (I mean HBT), and by live I mean pictures that I will post throughout the day : )

Monday, Feb 4th is the day. View the event live on PPV (I mean HBT), and by live I mean pictures that I will post throughout the day : )
Sweeeeeeeeeeet. I've been holding off an order because I've been waiting for this show down.

awesome! take lots of pix, and/or a video, especially of what the two filters look like after the boil (i.e. put an equal amount of hops in each basket and then see how much was retained. requires splitting all your hop additions in half).

Back