beer in America vs. else where

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh,man do i love Epic IPA.Its a netherlands beer american style.:D Thats like one of those better than Pliny beers for me,i think. It may be the oak-aged one.Or could be the Armageddon.

Its from New Zealand, and imo overrated, like all their beers. Its just loads of US cascade, wlp001 id guess. Over hear we don't all rate it that highly. Each to their own though I don't mean to sound argumentative, just adding my opinion to the thread. I'd take some Green Flash IPA over EPA any day.

I drank my fair share of Tiger beer in Singapore and Malaysia. It's been a few years but I remember it being pretty awful. I remember giving some advice to one of my shipmates when he sat at our table: "It's only gut wrenchingly disgusting for the first two cans..."

Don't get me wrong. I was not placing any rave reviews on Tiger. I would not call it awful though. It is a pretty decent representation of the style. And I would drink that before I ever ordered a Budweiser when in SE Asia.

My point was that one doesn't have to only drink Thai beers in Thailand. Though if you want anything outside of light lagers you will have to get creative with your searching. You would be surprised at the places you will find little local "micro" brew pubs though.

Edit: Also...if you were in Singapore what the hell were you doing drinking Tiger (I mean I know it's a local beer but...)? Get yourself down to Clarke Quay and into Brewerkz! If you're drinking ****ty beer in Singapore you're doing it wrong! :p

Its from New Zealand, and imo overrated, like all their beers. Its just loads of US cascade, wlp001 id guess. Over hear we don't all rate it that highly. Each to their own though I don't mean to sound argumentative, just adding my opinion to the thread. I'd take some Green Flash IPA over EPA any day.

Right. And id probably take a Lagunitas over green flash. Opinions,opinions. I dont think NZ hops are overrated though.Uhh,if they even are?. Some of them i brewed with have been my favorate. NZ hops are great.

A lot of the best craft beers in Europe are american styles... check good italian craft beers or beers from Norway or Holland they all know how is making the best beers now. Last year I went to a beer trip trough Holland and Belgium and the most visited bar in that trip was the Beer Temple in Amsterdam that specializes in amercian craft beers. Now I have decided that my next beer trip its to US.
I think not being american helps me been a little more objective in this matter. You don´t have an idea how incredibly lucky you guys are for having the biggest and more interesting craft beer and hombrewing scene in the world.

Right.And that is really cool to hear from someone from Spain. I think Americans are very competetive so of course every body is fighting to have the best beer or at least good recognized beer. Not to metion good sales.
Im not biased about my countries beer, im critical of my own beer also, and personally(a little off topic) I happen to think American belgian style beer is inferior to actual belgian style beer and kinda think American belgian ipas are a little awkward and even regular doubles or tripples dont really compare to some of the trappist beers.:mug: Im not even shure if we can make a better german(lager) beer, i have had really good american german beers for shure though.

Check the world beer cup results. We're producing as good if not better beers than other breweries from around the world, even in traditionally european styles.

Europe can make some pretty darn good beers. One of my favorite APAs is from a micro in Sussex. That brewery being Dark Star, and it's one of my favorite breweries hands down, and all I ever had from them was on cask at The Harp, right outside Trafalgar Square. If I could ever get one of my ales to parallel their Six Hop Ale, I could probably die happy. And then being in Brussels and trying more than my fair share of Belgian beers on tap at Chez Moeder, I can confidently say there's some American breweries that put out better Belgian styles than actual Belgian breweries, but then again some of the best Belgians I've had are actually from Belgium. Canada's giving them a run for their money though, seeing as how amazing Unibroue is turning out to be.

I'd say it doesn't matter what side of the Atlantic you're on, you've got access to pretty stellar craft beer. You just need to know which ones to look for.

That makes no sense. There is no way to make a comparison between Pliny and "European beer". Put the best IPA and the best traditional German lager in front of me and ask me to pick the best one? Can't happen. :drunk:

Yes, I think it comes down to style differences. The US can make pretty good european 'style' beers too. europe rarely brews US 'style' beer because they aren't interested.

Belgium is a place very, very close to my heart. I have spent time all over--from Grand Place in Brussels to Antwerp to the flea markets in Tongeren and the beach near Knokke-Heist. I've been to nearly every major brewery in that country and all of the famous bars, including Mort Subite and Le Vaudree. I've been to where Chimay is brewed, Westvleteren, Orval and so on and even De Dolle. I love everything about Belgium.

However, there are many beers that are produced there that are undrinkable to me. These include Ciney, Blanche de Namur, Jupiler, Stella, Maes and many, many others.

The same can be said for Germany. I lived in Germany for 4 years and drank many good beers but even more bad ones. Terrible, banana/clove hefeweizens, terrible alts, terrible horrible pirminator styles. They are barf beers and I can't see how anyone drinks them. Anyone ever drink a Jever? Kostriker? I never tasted a drinkable doppelbach.

The USA is FAR more dynamic and innovative in brewing IMO. We are not limited to style by geography. All one has to do is look at a few brewers like Stone, Spoetzl, Rogue, Bruery, Anchor Steam etc... to see that the culture of brewing is awesome in the USA>

A very subjective topic of which is "better". Depends on what is being measured. I've traveled Europe a bit, drank a lot of beer there. Was just in Belgium a couple months ago. There is certainly good beer in Europe, no doubt. But the styles I most prefer are IPA/IIPA's and Stouts (especially barrel aged), and IMO, America wins there. Most people I know drink beer that I think is a waste on the liver. There are a lot of styles and varieties, but in the end, it is all just a matter of preference.

This is just another way for someone to say "America sucks at this....nanny nanny boo boo". If you don't like America, youre free to leave. Germany, Belgium, they'll be glad to have you, and you could drink all the great beer you want. If you're unhappy with the quality of beer in America, brew your own better. I'm tired of hearing everyone reach deep to find something America is inferior at.

Maybe his friends like the taste of all malt, malty lagers and just don't know what to look for over here. There aren't a lot of malty American lagers to be had.

I brew some 1.042-1.050 lagers and they are the favorites of most people I know who aren't into craft beer or don't know anything other than BMC.

Don't take it as an attack on America. Just point them to beer styles that they like.

BoomerSoonerBrewer said:
I was there from 99 to 03.

We definitely had some overlap.

Did you make it to Roeselare? I spent a day at the Rodenbach brewery, it was one of the best ever.

I wasn't into beer at that time. I did tour the bitburger brewery lol, and the Heineken when we went to Amsterdam with my ex brother in law.

I lived in Baumholder, Germany for almost 3 years (1993- 1995), and I can say that the beer we have here in the US is every bit as good as what I sampled over there. Having beer delivered to my door every week was nice though.

The US is in the top tier of the brewing world. I don't think anyone could really prove that German, Belgian or UK beers are better or worse. It just comes down to preference.

Living in Munich I have to say that I hear this "every American beer is crap" argument often.

You should know that Germans in general and Bavarians in particular are fiercely proud of their hometown beer and in their mind anything else is sub-standard.
When I hear a German tell me how crap American beer is my response is that it's better than Oettinger which is the best selling beer in Germany. This usually sends them into a fit of anger and them telling me how unfair it is to link all German beer to one brand.

Even the thickest German will get the point...eventually!

In the end though it is pointless to argue as a very German trait is to NEVER admit you are wrong.

All that being said, taking a ride out to "der Heilige Berg" at Andechs is about as good as it gets for beer and atmosphere!

Why is the beer here in America so sub par in comparsion to Europe??? I have at least 20 friends who have said that once you go to Germany, Austira, Belgium or Estonia you'll never want to drink American beer again.

Why is my neigbor's grass greener than mine? Same seed, same amount of water and sun.. hmm

I have one friend over in Estonia and Germany right now who HATES beer. I've given him every craft brew under the sun to try and convert him but he loathes it.

Your friend doesn't hate beer or your beer, he is just not secure enough in his judgment to trust you... NOT your fault! Of course if he is drinking beer from the brewing icon nation - Their beer must be the best! Your friend's own insecurity and lack of knowledge is the problem.

He goes over to Germany and Estonia only to not be able to drink ENOUGH beer. His exact words are "American beer tastes like crap, this stuff is like crack".
I'll stick with the the same answer as above. Insecurity. Beer is made of malted barley, hops, yeast and water.... Can you seriously beleive only the Germans can get that combination perfectly correct? I say BS!

What's so different?

Perception.

It's as simple as old school (Europe) vs. new school (America). The old regime is more conservative and traditional and don't want to give way to the radical new school methodology, so they deem it inferior.

In reality, both regions make excellent beer and terrible beer. Personally, I believe Europe is more traditional since it is where beer styles were (mostly) created, while America found its niche by imperalizing everything, and pushing boundaries.

I live in Germany and would kill for American beer. I ask everyone who visits to bring me three bottles.

Guess we'll just have to wait for the Olympics to settle this.

why is the beer here in America so sub par in comparsion to Europe??? I have at least 20 friends who have said that once you go to Germany, Austira, Belgium or Estonia you'll never want to drink American beer again.

"American beer tastes like crap, this stuff is like crack". What's so different?

1. Beer in America isn't sub par compared to anywhere.

2. Some Americans get really jazzed for all things Euro because they think it makes them sophisticated and hip (it doesn't).

2. Some Americans get really jazzed for all things Euro because they think it makes them sophisticated and hip (it doesn't).

nailed it.

There are a million different beers in American. How could every single one of them be sub par? This thread is nonsense and should be sent down the memory hole.

Absolutely.

Additionally, I'd add that there are some Europeans (and English) who are anxious to criticize American culture in any way they can because they think it makes them sophisticated and hip. It also doesn't.

Re: the OP, I think these views belong in a world 20 years or more in the past, where the American beer scene was almost exclusively the pale, astringent lagers with a lot of rice or corn used in the brewing. That is most certainly not the case now. (Have been to and sampled multiple beers in UK, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Japan, China). While there are great beermaking regions in the rest of the world, I defy you to show me any beer region in the places mentioned that exceeds the quality and variety present on the Front Range of the Rockies Between Denver and Fort Collins.

The following is strictly my opinion, and also quite possibly :off:
.....so read no further unless you're interested.

My personal belief is that when people express that "X is better in Y place than it is here," it's just the Unobtainium Syndrome, which states "If we can't get it, then it must be better." This is a continuing theme in all Internet discussions relating to cars. If a car is available somewhere else in the world, and not in the U.S., people will chime in (never claiming to have either been to this place or driven one of these cars) stating that it's the paragon of the car builder's art, and it is rank injustice that we are not able to buy this particular ride in the U.S. And that's all I think that this is......

I got to go to a tasting a while back and we where able to Skype with the head Brewmaster of New Belgian. He said "you should all feel lucky to live in the U.S. because it is produceing the best beer in the world right now". The US is at the top of the craft beer push and the big guys are consernd or they wouldn't be buying craft breweries.

Back