Diet Ginger Soda Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
Started an experiment of sorts, mixing different amounts of sugar and splenda to create diet ginger soda, based off of Yooper's recipe

Pretty much the exact recipe, minus the addition of splenda and I used limes instead of lemons for the juice. Just happened to have them on hand. I want to figure out the least amount of sugar I can use and still end up with a decently carbonated diet soda.

I made a 2 liter batch, using 50/50 splenda and sugar, and three 20oz bottles. 20 oz is roughly 1/3 of a 2 liter bottle (not quite but close enough) so I used

2 tbs fresh grated ginger root
bit shy of 1/8 tsp Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast
juice of 1/2 a lime

One bottle has 3tbs splenda /1tbs sugar, a second is 3.5tbs splenda/1tbs sugar, and the other is just 4tbs of splenda. Pretty sure that last one won't do anything, just curious. I will probably add more ginger to it and a small amount of sugar after I get home tomorrow and see what happens. Thought I'd post, if anyone else is interested in diet soda.

Back