Mocha Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
This is my first Oatmeal Stout, and I just had the idea of turning it into a coffee and chocolate oatmeal stout.

Here's the recipe:

Mocha Oatmeal Stout

All-grain
Wyeast 1028, London Ale
5.5 gallons
1.066 O.G.
32 IBU
60 minute boil
38 SRM
28 days at 68-70 degrees

10 lbs. 5.3 oz. 2-row
1 lb. 2 oz. oatmeal
4.5 oz. crystal 120L
4.5 oz. crystal 80L
11 oz. pale chocolate malt
11 oz. Roasted Barley
1 oz. Northern Brewer 10.0% 60 mins
4 oz. cocoa nibs, dry hop 7 days

I pre-cooked the oatmeal in 1 gallon of water, and used that to preheat my mash tun.

I mashed this at 154 degrees for one hour, and batch sparged to get 7.25 gallons of wort.

Brought to boil, added the hops, boiled 60 mins.

Cooled to 68 degrees and siphoned 5.5 gallons to fermenter.

Added yeast from 1.5L starter of Wyeast 1028.

I just added the cocoa nibs yesterday, and am bottling this weekend. I am also thinking of putting in 20 oz. of cold brewed coffee so the "Mocha" in the title actually makes sense. I am also thinking about adding 1 tablespoon of homemade vanilla extract at bottling along with the cold brewed coffee and the priming sugar.

Does this coffee addition seem like enough for a not too strong coffee flavor?

Also, should I even bother with the vanilla or will it be a good addition?

Thanks in advance for any response. I am a relatively new brewer, about 4 months, and this stout is my second all-grain batch. I hope it turns out.

Bottled this today with the coffee and vanilla as posted before. It tasted very good while racking to my bottling bucket. I hope the coffee and vanilla only enhance the flavor.

Subscribing, sounds like it has potential, and combines all of my favorite things- I've had good chocolate, vanilla, and coffee stouts, but never one that balanced all three...heaven
:mug:

After 3 weeks bottle conditioning, this beer tasted very smooth. I thought it would take more time in the bottle to mellow out but it is good now. I must say that the chocolate dominates the flavor. You can pick up some coffee, but the vanilla is lost in the mix. I think I may need to cut back on the chocolate or increase the coffee and vanilla next time.

This beer has a great smooth flavor after aging for a little longer. I can taste the coffee, and chocolate, and a little hint of vanilla. It has quite a good combination of flavors. The problem with this brew is head retention. It pours a great thick head, but quickly dissipates into almost nothing. Any ideas as to what may cause the problem? I know it is not the glasses as my other beers all have a great head.

Latest posts

Back