Hop dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One mans junk is . . .

another guys junk.

IMHO - got to hand it to AHS to sell that stuff.

My experience with too many hop varieties added late in the boil is that you just end up getting muddled flavors/aromas. Unless they can place any guarantees on the varieties included, I wouldn't waste the money.

Waste the money? A can of Pepsi costs more..., it's 69 cents! Hell, a muslin bag costs more.

I recently used a 1oz packet of this for a bittering hop for a Pumpkin Wheat. It's kegged, but not in the keg fridge yet (my pipeline is a bit big right now :ban: ). I'm not sure if pumpkin wheat was the correct choice for "random hops in a bag" but why not use it for a pale or a bittering hop in a stout or something? If I remember right, it lists the approx AA on the package.

I'll let you know how it works out soon!

I'll let you know how it works out soon!

Awesome! I have a lot of other beer projects to get to first so definitely let me know how it works out. My idea was a pale with this as the flavoring and aroma hop. Have fun!

I brewed an amber last fall with an ounce. Was earthy / musty aroma & flavor. Was not my favorite beer but my GF liked it.

Ok, so I tapped the Pumpkin Wheat today after my Smoked Amber finally ran out. The beer isn't fully carbed yet, and it was a bit warm when I tried it but GOOD GOD MAN, might be one of the best beers I've ever made! If I handed it to you, you likely wouldn't detect any Pumpkin, and possibly not any wheat.... its strange... Even the spices - I used Pumpkin Pie Spices in it - added a bit more than I did a year prior where I couldn't really taste them. I taste spices, but they don't taste like pumpkin pie. The beer turned out to be similar to an Amber, and has a crispness akin to a lager. If I had to pick a beer it was like.... maybe Sam Adams Boston Lager, but MORE to it - maybe the hops/spice mix?

If the hops had anything at all to do with how good this beer is I say go for your hop dust purchase - and go all in. I'm now disappointed I only brewed 2.5 gal! I may make this again soon. I'm having a party in a few weeks and I'm contemplating keeping it hidden, so I can have it all to myself. I only used the hop dust as a bittering hop, with no flavor or aroma hop so if the hops have to do with this flavor they did a damn good job. And for $.69, why not? I'm about to make another purchase soon, and I'll be sure to pick up 2 or 3oz of this just to play around some more. I really hope they still have some when I order. Cheers!

OMG, people will sell anything these days won't they.
If you grow your own hops, I place tinfoil under the screens when drying them and collect a handfull of lupulin. Place in a jar and use as a dry rub on my rib eyes. It is wonderful.

Back