Chocolate Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3PegBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm getting married in September and my Fiance and I thought it would be a neat idea to make a beer to be a take home gift for each invited couple. We agreed on making a chocolate stout. Problem is, I've never put chocolate in beer before, but I've tasted some amazing ones. I did some searching and think I figured out a recipe. I was hoping I could get some tips or constructive criticism. Thanks

Target Mash Temp is 154F

9 lb German Pils (90 min)
1 lb Vienna Malt (90 min)
3/4 lb British Chocolate Malt (90 min)
1/4 lb Roasted Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Black Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Acid Malt (90 min)
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
4 oz Light Brown Sugar (15 min)
1 lb Honey (15 min)
6 oz Cocoa Powder (15 min)
1 Tbl Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 oz Kent Golding (15 min)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (flame out)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (secondary)
London Ale III Yeast

Plan on Primary stage lasting 2-3 weeks.
Plan on Secondary lasting 3-4 weeks.

I've made a couple of chocolate stouts from recipes I found here, this one was my favorite: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/andes-mint-chocolate-stout-207277/

As far as the cocoa powder and chocolate, a little bit goes a long way. I used 4 oz for a 2.5gallon batch, and it was a bit overpowering. When I make this again, I will only use 2oz for 2.5Gallons. That will be mighty chocolaty with all that Ghirardelli.

I'd say try a couple recipes in small batches with different quantities of chocolate before you make a big one for the gifts.

I'm thinking about taking out the chocolate from the secondary and only putting it in at flame out. I've been thinking about it and think it possible that the trub will be overwhelming in the secondary.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I'm not the authority or anything, so go ahead and try your recipe and let us know how it turns out. One change I would make would be to eliminate the Irish moss. Your beer will be opaque, so why add a clarifier?

If your recipe doesn't meet your standards, try BarleyWater's recipe, "Dark Chocolate Stout" in the HBT database. I have brewed this one twice, to rave reviews from SWMBO and friends who tried it.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! I'm not the authority or anything, so go ahead and try your recipe and let us know how it turns out. One change I would make would be to eliminate the Irish moss. Your beer will be opaque, so why add a clarifier?

If your recipe doesn't meet your standards, try BarleyWater's recipe, "Dark Chocolate Stout" in the HBT database. I have brewed this one twice, to rave reviews from SWMBO and friends who tried it.

Good point about the opaqueness.

Target Mash Temp is 154F

9 lb German Pils (90 min)
1 lb Vienna Malt (90 min)
3/4 lb British Chocolate Malt (90 min)
1/4 lb Roasted Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Black Barley (90 min)
1/2 lb Acid Malt (90 min)
1 oz Fuggles (60 min)
4 oz Light Brown Sugar (15 min)
1 lb Honey (15 min)
6 oz Cocoa Powder (15 min)
1 Tbl Irish Moss (15 min)
1/2 oz Kent Golding (15 min)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (flame out)
1/2 lb Ghirardelli bitter sweet (secondary)
London Ale III Yeast

Plan on Primary stage lasting 2-3 weeks.
Plan on Secondary lasting 3-4 weeks.

So I went to the LHBS yesterday and picked the brains of one of the guys who made an amazing chocolate stout. I switched the black barley to 1/2# Carafa, added 6-8oz Lactose, and cut the Ghirardelli at flameout to 1/4#. The Pils I backed down to 6# and bumped up the Vienna to 3#.
I also decided to keep a clarifier, but changed the irish moss to the tablets.
for hops I decided to goto EK Golding 1/2 60 + 1/2 30.
I'm keeping the 1/2# in the secondary because my clean up is lasting around 21 days which will give it plenty of time to absorb.

If my cards are right I will have a nice roasted nutty flavor with a smooth chocolate after taste.

I used 6 oz. cocoa powder at 5 mins in my chocolate stout...I didn't feel it had enough chocolate. I would raise it to at least 8 oz. the next time I make it.

Back