Anchor Steam Clone - Fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

Reaction score
I'd like to have a couple kegs ready for Christmas guests. I have an IPA that will be ready soon,
but I'd like to have a second keg ready also. Is an Anchor Steam clone a good "fast" recipe?

I am actually getting ready to brew a clone of this as well. Our beer club decided that everyone is going to brew (Only 5 of us) and bring it to our local bar which will have a keg of it on tap so compare it. We were guessing around a month of so till we were ready to go. If you brewed this weekend and forced carb, you should be ready in time for the holidays.

Steam beers (also called "california commons") usually call for hybrid yeasts, like White Labs' San Fransisco Lager yeast. In my experience, they usually take a little longer than standard ale yeasts. You might have time if you're force carbonating, but you're definitely cutting it close.

If you're brewing for guests and you want to be SURE you have something good ready in time, I might suggest picking a faster fermenting style. Maybe a Pale Ale for the folks who'd like something less hoppy than an IPA?

I just made "Palace Bitter" yesterday, which is an ESB-style ale. Nice hop taste, but it isn't that bitter. It is in Papazian's book, not sure what the page number is off the top of my head. He mentions it is usually ready to drink in around 14 days, sometimes sooner.

I'm trying to have that ready by New Years, which looks quite doable. I used Fermentis S-04.

Back