Transfer to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHouse

Reaction score
How are you all transfering from your brew kettle to your primary?

I do full 6.5 gallon boils, and usually just pour the cooled wort into my buckets. I have two full full plastic primary's, but need to brew two more beers. I have two 6 gal. carboys that I will be using for primary's. I've gotten a large funnel to pour the wort into the carboys, but I'm just curious;

Do you guys (and girls) just pour everything into your primaries? Or do you filter/strain the wort? Or do you whirlpool and siphon?

I'm just starting to do AG, and I wonder if it's worth it to install a weldless ball valve on my 32 qt kettle? Then I could whirlpool and drain into my primaries.

I used to just pour almost all of my batches, unless they were so loaded with hops that they'd take up too much room in the fermenter. In those cases, I either poured through a big strainer (like a big spaghetti strainer), or if I was using a bucket, I'd line the bucket with a big santized mesh bag, pour the wort in and then pull out the mesh bag. Mostly, though, I just poured it all in.

Just recently, I have a newer system and leaf hops clog my pump so I've been finding ways to strain out the leaf hops (pellets don't clog up my system at all- they go right in). I haven't noticed a bit of difference in my beers, so I don't think it matters a bit. Just do whatever it is that is easiest for you.

I just pour back and forth from the pot to the bucket a few times to make sure and get some oxygen in there before pitching.

in). I haven't noticed a bit of difference in my beers, so I don't think it matters a bit. Just do whatever it is that is easiest for you.

Thanks Yoop....thats the kind of experience I was look for.

I have a funnel with a removable filter in it.

On some batches I need to empty the filter once. On others it takes 4 or 5 times.

Back