First fermenter blowout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camneel83

Reaction score
So I came home today and found my blow-off tube and stopper on the ground but lucky for me the mess wasn't all that bad. I did learn something though and thought I should share so it doesn't happen to anyone else. If you're going to attach a hose to the stem of an airlock, make sure that airlock doesn't have one of those X type cross structure on the tip. It ended up collecting all sorts of gunk. I'm not even sure what purpose it serves but it's not good for blow off tubes.

I just ended up using a piece of an old racking cane and put that in the stopper with vinyl tubing so hopefully that does the trick. Even if it does blow up again I put it inside my mash tun with a bottling bucket over it in hopes that will contain a second mess.

That's what I get for stepping up to 5 gallon batches and pitching a yeast cake onto a Belgian strong!

Back