something carmelized inside my bottles, what coud it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival178

Reaction score
I have had my bottles aging for 3 weeks(on sunday) yesterday I noticed there was no carbonation inside the bottle and discovered that something has carmelized inside the bottle. What would cause this "rock candy" to form inside the bottle?

Extract: 7.5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 1 lb Specialty Grains.
Liquid Extract
White Labs German ale/Klosch WLP029 ( I did used a started with DME)

Here is the exact kit from austin home brew

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1086&osCsid=be617d752 30ec0e02803fce052d29a7c

The OG was 1.051 and the FG was 1.014 both right where they should be according to the directions.

as per instructions I used 2 cups of water and disolved the priming sugar (used entire small package) as instructed.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

every single bottle has this. It sticks to the bottom or side of the bottle depending on how it lays overnight. I have given each bottle a little shake to remove the stuck substance hoping it would disolve into the liquid with no luck.

That is just sediment. I would suggest that you place all of the bottles upright.

but the sediment is very hard and sticks to the side of the bottles. I'm not sure it's just sediment because there is also no carbonation in there, like the priming sugar carmelized or something. I believe normal sediment flows around in the bottle if moved, not this stuff it's very stuck to the side or bottom of the bottle.

Caramelization is a chemical reaction that causes darkening. Rock candy brings to my mind hard crystallized sugar. Your picture looks nothing like either. As gunner suggested, it looks like sedimentation - in other words, yeast. Yeast is going to settle out in homebrew, so this is exactly what to expect. Also, as suggested, keep the bottles upright so it settles to the bottom and makes getting a clean pour easier.

As to the lack of carbonation, that is a different issue. What temp did you store the bottles at? How long did you chill them before opening them? Do you get any sort of hiss when you pop the cap?

Caramelization is a chemical reaction that causes darkening. Rock candy brings to my mind hard crystallized sugar. Your picture looks nothing like either. As gunner suggested, it looks like sedimentation - in other words, yeast. Yeast is going to settle out in homebrew, so this is exactly what to expect. Also, as suggested, keep the bottles upright so it settles to the bottom and makes getting a clean pour easier.

As to the lack of carbonation, that is a different issue. What temp did you store the bottles at? How long did you chill them before opening them? Do you get any sort of hiss when you pop the cap?

I have stored the bottles at about 71 degrees for 3 weeks. I chilled them about 24 hours before opening, and yes I recall a small hiss when poping the cap.

Sounds to me like they are just not fully carbed up yet.

If you stand a bottle up, does that gunk slowly slide back down to the bottom?

What yeast strain is that? It just looks like sediment to me. Keep them upright and at a warm enough temp for another few weeks. See what happens.

Sounds to me like they are just not fully carbed up yet.

If you stand a bottle up, does that gunk slowly slide back down to the bottom?

no it's pretty much stuck to the surface, I have to give it a little swirl to get it to release. It looks to be carmelized and hard like "rock candy"

It does look like yeast sediment. I'd try to just gently shake them to try to resuspend the yeast, and keep them upright at at least 70 degrees for a couple more weeks.

It does look like yeast sediment. I'd try to just gently shake them to try to resuspend the yeast, and keep them upright at at least 70 degrees for a couple more weeks.

Will do! Hopefully it comes out GREAT!

That's just yeast. Like someone said earlier store the bottles upright. You'll see the entire bottom coated with this stuff in every bottle. This is why people don't pour the last half oz or so into the glass because they don't wanna drink it.

I'd tip each bottle up and down a few times to resuspend all of that gunk then store them upright and wait a few more weeks to carb.

That's just yeast. Like someone said earlier store the bottles upright. You'll see the entire bottom coated with this stuff in every bottle. This is why people don't pour the last half oz or so into the glass because they don't wanna drink it.

I'd tip each bottle up and down a few times to resuspend all of that gunk then store them upright and wait a few more weeks to carb.

This stuff wont pour out of the bottle, it's very stuck to the surface. I did pour one and ZERO yeast come out because it was all stuck to the bottom. That is why I'm wondering if this is even yeast because like you said "normally" you can over pour the beer and get yeast in the glass but not in this case.

What you have in your bottles is yeast. As the others said gently shake it up to resuspend it, then store up right in a dark place that is close to 70 degrees then wait for a few weeks or longer before you waste another beer. The yeast will not hurt you. Some of us actually like it :)

This stuff wont pour out of the bottle, it's very stuck to the surface. I did pour one and ZERO yeast come out because it was all stuck to the bottom. That is why I'm wondering if this is even yeast because like you said "normally" you can over pour the beer and get yeast in the glass but not in this case.

I've had a few different strains of yeast do that. Some of them you would have to swirl it a few times in clean water to get it all out. Some yeast tends to compact more readily than others and some can go back into suspension with a small shake of the bottle. RDWHAHB.:rockin:

Back