SS Conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_B_Mongo

Reaction score
I plan on buying a 14.5 gallon SS conical fermenter soon. I've been shopping around the internet, and I was wanting to get peoples take on who has the best prices, pros/cons, importantly...is it worth the extra money for the tri-clamp valves???
Thanks!

Kegged: Imperial IPA
Bottled: Imperial IPA, Raspberry Hefe, Belgian Strong Golden Ale
Planning: Oktoberfest, ESB, and a Stout on Nitro

in december i am going blichmann on that ass, 15/15/20 three 14.5 and a 27 thermanator and tri clamps just cause it will make me feel like a brewery, and if you have disposable income like i do then go ballz deep man but there are those (up) that do not argee with spending big but what the hell you only live once:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Depending on the conical, getting tri-clamps or not getting tri-clamps is a personal preference.

On the Blichmann Conical, since it has weldless fittings with threads and is therefor not "sanitary" the tri-clamps are just for easy of use. You still need to break down the fitting and clean that as well.

That being said, I'd buy the tri-clamp parts online and save some dough. Tri-clamp fittings are super easy to work with and swap around.

I have a Blichmann 14.5 Gallon Fermenator with threaded fittings that I picked up off of Craigslist for a pretty good deal. I think I paid around 429.00 for it. I shopped around quite a bit to try and determine the value of what I was buying. I determined that the pricing is pretty much the same across the board for these items (Yeah, I'm sure someone is gonna chime in with....I go it cheaper at blah!).
Give or take a few dollars you can plan on paying ~600.00 for the 14.5 fermenator with the replaceable threaded fittings, and ~830.00 for the model with the tri-clover fittings.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with the tri-clover fittings. They are a snap to put on and take off, and they are a cinch to clean. Since I started working in a commercial brewery I have really come to appreciate the convenience of tri-clover fittings. :)
The threaded fittings take a little more time and effort to remove and clean, and re-install. I have found that you need to be really careful not to over tighten as the o-rings will blow out pretty easily if you aren't careful.

If you can wait on it, I think your best bet is to find something used that is in good condition. The other option is to go with Austin Homebrew Supply. Right now they are running their 10% off sale, fifty states, fifty days. 10% off 600.00 or 830.00 translates to significant savings for you.

Tri clamps are much better than threaded fittings. Because it takes only a second to remove them and clean them, you will. Threaded fittings often don't get cleaned well, if at all, and end up harboring bad critters that give your beer off flavors.

Here's how I look at it - why invest a lot of money in something that is a step backward in your brewery? IMO a glass carboy is better than a fermenter with threaded fittings, because you know it is clean.

I have the Blingman 7.1 gallon with the threaded fittings. They did not offer the tri-clamp when I bought mine. Yes they are a pain to clean, assemble and take down again. I Never had an infection due the the threaded fittings so don't let that scare you off. I thought it would be "Cool" to have a conical but I tend to use my carboys more.

There are a lot of guys here at HBT that would argue with you on the necessity of Tri-Clamp fittings.

...and the necessity of a conical in the first place.

I'd love to have a 14.5G Blichmann. As long as you want to spend money, tri-clamps are definitely tiz-nite.

I can't believe I just said that....

But the question is if the tri clamp fittings on the fermenter in question are sanitary welded or just threaded on adapters.

Seems that if you want to be thorough, you have to take the valves apart every time anyway. Can't see what TCs offer, especially with a weldless setup.

Back