Possible Primary Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
So, I just recently left home for two months not thinking that my beer will be in primary the whole time i was gone...

I brewed each about 1 week before i left.

A Rogue Nectar clone (S-04 yeast i believe..or s-05...i dont recall.)with an OG of about 1.07ish and likewise I brewed a DFH 60 clone (Notty since all i had was dry yeast) and the OG was about 1.07ish as well. They are both sitting around 62*...

What should i expect when i come home? Rubbery tasting beer? Autolysis? Ugh...

:confused:

It will be ok...... Do a taste test before you bottle. I don't think you'll need secondary anymore. You might have one of the greatest beer...

What should i expect when i come home? Rubbery tasting beer? Autolysis? Ugh...

:confused:

Probably some of the crispest tasting, and clearest beer you will ever have made.....Many of us leave our beers in Primary for a month, or more, becasue we have found that it improves our beer.

Autolysis has pretty much been disproven or proven to be only a boogey man for home brewers. All you need to do is a search for the term and you will see that very few of us on here hold any stock in that particualr subject.

Even John Palmer tends to agree.

How To Brew;

Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

As well as this passage. It seems that most people tend to already be cowering under their beds hiding from that bogeyman, and seem not to notice how he concludes the section on autolysis (which also happens to be in the seection on LAGERS, not ales anyway.)

How to brew;
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.

There some stuff I wrote here, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1334844-post25.html

Your beer will be fine...

Back