Crappy brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopdog

Reaction score
Started out nice yesterday. Got my brew going nicely but in my attempt to multi-task; I forgot my thermometer in my wort... it broke (I am done with floaters).

Hooked the chiller up to my spigot outside and apparently it was frozen. Wrestled the keg down to the basement to another spigot and got it cooled.

Not paying close attention I ended up with only 4 gallons of wort with an OG of 1.040 instead of 1.045.

I also checked a batch of Apfelwein (Eds recipe except Wyeast 3068) that has been fermenting for a month and only has an SG of 1.036 (the same as it was 2 weeks ago). I never did take an OG on it.

Bah, some days are better than others...

Hooked the chiller up to my spigot outside and apparently it was frozen. Wrestled the keg down to the basement to another spigot and got it cooled.
Bah, some days are better than others...
This happened to me last time took the beer outside to cool I go to turn on the spigot and it is frozen solid DAMN. I will invest in a faucet hook-up for my wort Chiller. But I feel you some days just don't go as planned, but hey neither does life. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, and drink a few homebrews on the way.

I guess things can't always go your way. I have had a few brew days like that so I feel your pain. Hopefully next time will be better.

Back