Historical Beers London stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKaranka

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-
Additional Fermentation
-
Tasting Notes
Like bitter hot chocolate and hazelnuts in a frozen caramel frapuccino
The design of this beer follows from a year experimenting with porter and stout grists, and it's directly based on the brown beers brewed in London in the late Victorian and early Edwardian period. It's smooth and creamy, robustly bitter while malty and chocolaty.

Dark ruby to black, pours with a dense light brown head.
Image here:
https://goo.gl/photos/7A5bfELoXXvJ4CVf7

Aroma is dark malts and cocoa. Flavour follows with bitter chocolate, cocoa, hazelnuts, burnt toffee, and just a hint of fresh hops. Some dark fruit esters. There is not much coffee but mainly a wide array of different roast flavours.

5 US gallons
OG 1.065, FG 1.015, 6.6% ABV, 60IBU, 35SRM

Grist:
8.5lb Maris Otter (71%)
2.3lb Brown Malt (19.5%)
13oz Amber Malt (7%)
5oz Patent Malt (2.5%)

Mash mid-low. Follow your favourite mash / sparge schedule.

60m Boil:
60m - 1.5oz Challenger (8.8%AA)
15m - 0.5oz Challenger (8.8%AA)

After cooling add a sachet of S04 and a sachet of Nottingham. Add about 5SRM of Brewers' caramel to bring the SRM from ~30SRM to 35SRM.

PS: feel free to change the hops. I've used Minstrel at 15m. If you don't reach the OG, add dark invert to bring the gravity up. It can only make the beer better.

Nice, with the right carbonation this beer has an everlasting half inch head. I don't get fussed about head retention but it looks pretty good after bottle conditioning.

I'll be brewing this one today.
Subbed Amber with biscuit and had a small amount of flaked barley and wheat I'm adding also just to use it up.
Dropped the total IBU to 54.

Ferment will be on London Ale III.

Hi!

If you are using Biscuit drop the amount a lot and add a bit more Brown. Probably about 2-3oz Biscuit. In the end itsi pretty much all about Brown malt and bitter hops

Hi!

If you are using Biscuit drop the amount a lot and add a bit more Brown. Probably about 2-3oz Biscuit. In the end itsi pretty much all about Brown malt and bitter hops

IMG_2121.JPG

Too late

Kegged this up today.
Sample was tasty! Like you said a wide array of roast flavors. Biscuit comes out but not overwhelming or taking over the Brown.
Fruity and dry also.
I do like how the 1318 came out on this one.

Also tossed a gallon in a polypin.

OG 1052
FG 1011
5.4%
View attachment 587412

london ale III good choice, that yeast is the bomb!
This recipe sounds good!
Can u post the temperature you mash at, please? I’m guessing like 150F??

Back