Naming your beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamsdm1111

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm still pretty new to both this site and brewing. I have done 2-5 gal brews so far and have been thinking about making labels. My only problem is I'm blanking on names. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have a Belgian ale conditioning and a honey porter fermenting.

Thanks
Dan

Inspiration...your name, your spouse or girlfriend/boyfriend's name, your pet's name, your city/state/county/region, dates (anniversary, birthday, brewdate, etc.), style of beer, type of ingredients.

Options...alliteration (Billy Beer, Andy's Ale, etc.), acronym, pun, historical reference, pop culture reference.

My suggestions...Bill's Belgian Ale and Winnie the Porter (honey...get it?).

If you have kids let then name them. My kids are more creative. Dog Bone IPA, Who Farted Ale, Honey Smack Ale, etc. if the kids don't name it then I just go generic like Cascade Pale Ale

I am brewing (fermenting) my first beer, a Fat Tire clone. The working name we've is "Flat Tire" right now until we actually taste the beer. :D

The naming of the beer is the poetry! It is like a mumbled incantation, a wry spell, a jocular encouragement to the fabric of the universe. Beer is not complete without a name - the invisible ink at the bottom of the parchment that the reinheitsgebot is written on includes a name as the fifth mystical element.

make it personal. My friend and I debated about moving the beer to secondary or not.....we finally let our 4 year olds choose what to do, so the name of that beer was Toddler Brew.

I couldn't think of a name for a Belgian blonde so I looked up dutch profanity and settled on klootzak (nut sack)

Hi everyone. I'm still pretty new to both this site and brewing. I have done 2-5 gal brews so far and have been thinking about making labels. My only problem is I'm blanking on names. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have a Belgian ale conditioning and a honey porter fermenting.

Thanks
Dan

Are they kits or your own recipe?

If kit it's already been given a name.

If it's your own recipe the all of the above suggestions are good.

I've started using hockey to help me with inspiration for new names. The one I'm drinking now is Hip Check IPA and in my fermenter is Slew Foot IPA.

So if you buy a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities" you change the name to Paris and London?

If I took took the time to retype the book, and was going to put it on my shelf (not sell it) you bet (for the record, I'd probably name it "Cure for insomnia"). The loop hole - My typing skills are much like the brewing process. Brew/Type it 10 times and come up with 10 really close, but slightly different versions....:mug:

[EDIT] BTW - on the flip side, I always call out the "reference" beer name on my labels even if I'm just attempting to clone a commercial brew

My recent brew names:

Old King Kolsch
I's Cream
My oh Rye

I entered the FOAM Cup a couple months back, and they had a special prize for the best beer name. The winner was "Bye Bye Miss American Rye Stout". That one was pretty good.

My all time favorite though, is the name of the beer that won the gold in the European Amber Lager category at this past weekend's Drunk Monk Challenge: "Hang One Of Those Sweet Ass Medals On Me". Brilliant.

...and their old foe Lord Moldywort :)

I've been thinking of setting aside a gallon or so of unhopped wort to "pre-sour" with lacto from a few set-aside malt kernels, just to see what kind of sour beer I can achieve in days instead of months. Not even sure I'm gonna follow through on this experiment, but if I do, at least I know what to call it. :mug:

I decided to go with a baseball theme for my beers.

Diamond Devil Scottish Ale (they are a team in the Scottish Baseball League)
Fat Pitch Amber Ale (my altered fat tire clone)
Bitter Cricket Ale (for my English bitter)
Blind Umpire IPA (blind pig clone)
Fall Classic Cider
Rockford Peach Blonde Ale (when the peaches start going in the backyard this summer)

I have a blonde ale with no name (thinking Commerce Comet Blonde Ale for Mickey Mantle)

If a name pops in my head I'll use it, otherwise I just use a descriptive name so I know what it is "Belma Pale Ale" etc.

Once I get a few beers really nailed that I do well and brew over and over again, I'll probably name them then...

I've been thinking of setting aside a gallon or so of unhopped wort to "pre-sour" with lacto from a few set-aside malt kernels, just to see what kind of sour beer I can achieve in days instead of months. Not even sure I'm gonna follow through on this experiment, but if I do, at least I know what to call it. :mug:

I was thinking that was definitely an appropriate name for a sour beer! Let us know how the experiment works out if you try it! :mug: (I'm still trying to think of more wizarding world themed beer names to keep the joke going but I seem to already have exhausted my creativity in one go)

I just put cool sounding words together, and that works for me.

Sonambulo Pale Ale (It means sleepwalker in Spanish)
Inamorata Saison
Denizen Redwolf Imperial Red
Bovine & Serpentine Black IPA
Grizzly Tick Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Outhouse Stout.....tastes just like it smells...overwhelming!

Finally picked one.

image-1265123752.jpg

Nice name.

I named my first brew Johnson's Super Bad Ass Sweet Bottled Brew...I feel better about myself for drinking it.

Why not come up with something completely ridiculous for your next one?

Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale
Freudian Slip Barleywine (or Austrian Strong Ale?)
Little Albert Wit
Pavlovian Pale Ale
Gestalt Alt
Nietzsche is Bitter
Inkblot Russian Imperial Stout
Rorschach RIS

I could go on...three guesses as to what I do for a living and the first two don't count!

Back