Cheap Temperature Control Methods?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tresden

Reaction score
Does anyone know any really good methods of keeping a consistent temperature that doesn't cost very much money? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

keeping things cooler is easy enough if you put your fermenter in a tub with a few inches of water in it and toss some frozen water bottles in there a couple times a day.

to heat

Plastic tub at target $7. http://www.target.com/Rope-Tub-Violet-18-gal/dp/B002C0PQWI/sr=1-4/qid=1266851546/ref=sr_1_4/188-1302996-1606446?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Aplastic%20tub&page=1

put fermenter in tub, fill space around fermenter with enough water to hit the 4-4.5 gallon mark on your fermenter.

Add aquarium heater. This one works well since most other aquarium heaters have too high of a minimum temperature to be useful. Temp range for this one is 64F+ and if you want you can trick its calibration to get to as low as 62 ish. 75W has worked well. Can usually find for ~$20 online http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/index.jsp?key=liniendetail_24552_ehen

Total cost <$30.

awesome. I'll buy 3 of these then. Do you thik buying a larger tub and putting 2 fermenters in it will help me save money by using one temp controller for 2 fermenterS? How many gallons can this thing keep controlled?

nevermind. Looks like a $20.00 100 W one will heat 30 Gallons! Thanks guys!

That is by far the best suggestion I have seen yet. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Now, if they could only do the same exact thing to cool the water, I would be in brew heaven.

Cooling is easy too.

Need ALOT of water to act as a giant heat sink and then keep that heat sink cool by adding a few frozen bottles of water twice a day.

Works great.

I do this: I know its light and light = Skunky beer BUT its not light that is the enemy its UV rays that screw up the hops. And there isn't enough UV rays in a string of Christmas lights to do anything. Works for me . . . .

Thanks Craig!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back