2nd AG, super clear winter ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
santy claws
Author: Kevin
Category: 21 - Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer
Subcategory: B - Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

Kettle Volume: 6.44 gal (S.G.: 1.044)
Boil Duration: 1 hr
Evaporation: 1.75 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.0 gal
Final Volume: 4.5 gal (S.G.: 1.063)
Efficiency: 87.85%
Attenuation: 76.2%
Evap/Hour: 1.75 gal

Ingredients:
1 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
4.0 lb Munich 10L Malt
5.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
3.0 oz Crystal Malt 90°L
1.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale
0.25 tsp Cinnamon (ground) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.25 tsp Nutmeg (ground) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.25 tsp Cloves (whole) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min

Original Gravity: 1.063
Terminal Gravity: 1.015
Color: 12.4 °SRM
Alcohol: 6.31%
Bitterness: 33.3
Guideline
1.026 - 1.120
0.995 - 1.035
1.0 - 50.0
2.5% - 14.5%
0.0 - 100.0
Analysis:
Apparent
Original Extract: 15.42 °P
Attenuation: 76.2%
Terminal Extract: 3.82 °P
% Alcohol: 6.31% ABV
Real
15.42 °P
60.9%
6.03 °P
4.94% ABW

Total: 209.85 kcal

here are a couple pics, i bottled this today and was very pleased with the clarity :mug: tastes great, malty but not too much, and the spices are only around in the aftertaste and a little in the aroma , only way i can describe it is that they taste like they smell :D

1210081520_1.jpg

1210081532_1.jpg

first this is 87% effiency on your 2nd AG....very nice! My second though (to myself) is how in the hell is that possible. Whats ur setup (im jelous...). Also did you cold condition or use fining agents or both.

first this is 87% effiency on your 2nd AG....very nice! My second though (to myself) is how in the hell is that possible. Whats ur setup (im jelous...). Also did you cold condition or use fining agents or both.

no cold condition, only a whirloc tablet. the 87% came from boiling off more than i expected so i cant really take the credit for that. i can say that i do hit my mash temps and hold them, and i boil REALLY hard.:D

this was in the primary for 10 and secondary for 10, no cold crashing. i cant wait to post up pics after its carbed :rockin:

my set up is beyond basic, here it is-
1119081243_1_1.jpg

i heat the strike/sparge in the small kettle, mash in the cooler, and run off into the keggle.

Just one run off???
no i do 2 batch sparges, i don't have them in beertools though. i just go off of the water calculator on brew365.com
That makes me feel better, your efficiency isn't based on post boil so I'm not so jealous now.
its not? i know what went into the kettle and what i had left when i put it in the fermenter, and i've boiled that much off each time...i just thought the efficiency went up because i didn't originally calculate that much boil off.

This looks like it is pre-bottled, pre-chill haze.

Should clear up nicely though even chilled if you give it a good long time to cold condition.
yeah hopefully it will be clear-this is the clearest beer i've had so far at bottling so i imagine it will be the clearest once carbed up as well.

You have to figure in volume to calculate your efficiency pre or post boil. Otherwise we'd all boil off a ton and brag about 100+%!

0102091700_1.jpg

here is a pic after 3 weeks in the bottle. its been chilly in my basement (holding 63) so carbing has been a little slow-its not finished yet. still very clear and the cinnamon taste has mellowed out, its very good!

Back