developing a house pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I am taking on the journey of developing a house pale ale. Brew day wont be for a week and a half but this is what I am thinking. Any criticism would be welcome.

10 gal, AG

-grain-
18lb pale 2-row
3lb munich
1.5 crystal 40L (homemade in the oven from the 2-row)

-hops-
1 oz galena 60 min
2 oz cascade 20 min
1 oz ahtanum 5 min
dry-hop
1 oz ahtanum (.5 in each carboy)

-yeast-
Wyeast 1084 Irish ale

-beersmith stats-
OG=1.060
estimated FG=1.015
7.5 SRM
35.2 IBU

mash for one hour at 154

thanks
-ander

Toasting 2-row in the oven will not get you crystal malt, it will give you toasted malt, which is not a bad thing. Just don't expect the caramel/sweetness that you would get from actual crystal malt. Dude uses some in his Lake Walk Pale Ale

The gravity is a little high, at the very end of the range for a pale ale. I would use a more attenuating yeast with that gravity so it's not too full and more drinkable. If you lowered the gravity a little, then I think the Irish ale yeast would be fine.

Brewsmith said:
Toasting 2-row in the oven will not get you crystal malt, it will give you toasted malt, which is not a bad thing. Just don't expect the caramel/sweetness that you would get from actual crystal malt. Dude uses some in his Lake Walk Pale Ale

The gravity is a little high, at the very end of the range for a pale ale. I would use a more attenuating yeast with that gravity so it's not too full and more drinkable. If you lowered the gravity a little, then I think the Irish ale yeast would be fine.

You can indeed make crystal in the oven. You just need to soak the the grain to maximum hydration, stew at mashing temps (~155 F) and then dry. I have had trouble keeping the color down, as I have ended up with darker crystal by the time the grain is dry. However, the malt tastes great and adds a little more DIY to the whole process!!

Sounds like it will very tasty. The home roasted grain should be interesting, have you done that before? Let us know how it turns out. Why are you going with the Irish yeast? Just curious since you are using all american hops, not saying that there is anything wrong with that, like I said just curious...

Cheers

-to do the homemade crystal I soak for 24 hours, dry in the oven at about 180-200 until pretty close to dry and then crank it up to 300 for 45-90 min according to the desired color

-I have the Irish ale yeast on hand but also thought that it might make for a distinctive house brew

-I know that it is on the upper (just a bit over) side of the guidelines but rules are meant to be broken if not just pushed a bit. Also I actually have the label and the name picked and it is a bit tough so I thought that the ABV should be up there a bit. If you didn't see it:
granulator.jpg

-ander

TheCrane said:
You can indeed make crystal in the oven. You just need to soak the the grain to maximum hydration, stew at mashing temps (~155 F) and then dry. I have had trouble keeping the color down, as I have ended up with darker crystal by the time the grain is dry. However, the malt tastes great and adds a little more DIY to the whole process!!
Good luck keeping your oven at 155. I wasn't trying to say that it's impossible to make at home, or that anyone shoudn't try. The OP didn't say his process, and by putting grain in the oven, the most simple process is just toasting it.

anderj said:
-to do the homemade crystal I soak for 24 hours, dry in the oven at about 180-200 until pretty close to dry and then crank it up to 300 for 45-90 min according to the desired color
Sounds great then. Let us know how it turns out. :)

what do you guys think about lowering the mash temp a couple of degrees and extending the time to 90 min?

It would dry it out a little and make it a little easier with the drinkablilty. With that yeast I would. Maybe not 90 min, but I'd definately go 150-152. At an OG of 1.060, you're going to have plenty of body left in the beer.

Latest posts

Back