Figuring out how to do BIAB with a partial mash kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjork24

Reaction score
I bought the Cascade Pale Ale partial mash kit from Midwest Supplies, but the included instructions are for a two step (two vessel) sparge. I have my new 10 gallon pot and BIAB bag, so I'd like to figure out how to rejigger the instructions for BIAB.

The kit includes 3.3lb. of Light Malt Extract, 4 lb. American 2-row malt, 8 oz. Carapils, and 8 oz. Caramel 10L. How can I use a no-sparge BIAB method with this kit and end up with a ~5 gallon batch?

mash with the required amount of water for the mash. Attempt to suspend the bag over the the newly formed wort and rinse the grains with your sparge water. Dunk the bag and allow to drain repeatedly. Remove the grains and proceed with your boil.

I think either way will work...I have seen bottling buckets used for LT's by suspending a grain bag off the bottom using the lid snapped over the excess bag to hold it. Then a hole cut in the lid that a collander can rest in to break up the sparge. Then use the bottling spigot to drain.

If you do a no sparge, be sure to mash out at 168 for about 20 minutes. This will help cut down on the efficiency loss of no sparge. I sparge in a second kettle sometimes by "tea bagging" my grain bag. This is illustrated in DeathBrewer's sticky thread here -->https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
I have been learning the BIAB method recently, and many say they get 70+ efficiency with no sparge and a 20 minute mash out at 168. I haven't been able to duplicate this yet, unfortunately..

Back