do you need sight tube/thermo in all vessels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tch1980

Reaction score
I have been reading around and I cant figure out if I really need sight tubes and thermometers in all the vessels. how do you know how much you've added or collected without guessing? I have done about 3 batches and I want to get more accurate. also will the grain in MT throw off the reading of your tube if the grain bill varies from batch to batch.

I use knotches on my spoon and mash paddle to get volumes. Sparge/mash volumes with buckets. No sight glass at all. I only have a thermometer on my HLT. More would be nice but not necessary for my setup.

I make a dip stick for my brew pot and hot liquor pot, with marks at each gallon. It works similar to a sight tube. I like a thermometer on my brew pot simply so I can see what the temp is during cooling with an immersion chiller.

I mash in a cooler, I use a digital thermometer with a wire probe. No sightglass or dipstick for the MLT.

Thermos yes.

Sight tube in a MLT is asking for a clogged tube unless you can make sure the inlet is below a false bottom.

Thermometer is nice but for me the added expense is not worth it. I'll just stick with a thermometer that clips to the rim of the kettle.

And I use a yard stick to measure my volume because I figured out the dimensions of my kettle. One inch equals .71 gallons.

thanks, the less thermometers and sight tubes leaves more $$$ for other gadgets that I could use. never thought of using a paddle or stick but that sure beats the price of fittings and thermometers. thanks guys!

I just did my first brew with a bobby m glass/thermo combo on my gravity fed hlt, and it was great to not have to climb the ladder to measure volume/temp. I am going to do a glass only on my kettle just cause i want it.

There's really not much of a case for a sight in a mash tun unless you actually fill that vessel directly from the tap and heat strike water in it. I use my sight and thermometer in the HLT and boil kettle and I find plenty of utility in both.

I would disagree with the MT/LT comments. I put a sight glass on my cooler and it's been invaluable for fly sparging. I put a small o-ring on it and set that at my desired water level. I open the drain valve to the right flow rate, then play with the HLT drain until the level in the sight glass stays at the o-ring. Once the system hits equilibrium it's hands off until sparging is done.

Back