I have another Burner question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am ready to buy some burners for my Brutus type build. I have decided on a 10 inch Bayou type burner. I have seen the same burner advertised as High pressure and also Low pressure. The pictures look the same, so I'm guessing that the orifice must be different. Correct? Which is preferred?

Here is a link to a Low Pressure,

Bayou Classic Cast Iron Low Pressure Propane Gas Banjo Burner : The Grill Store and More

Here is one called High Pressure,

BG-14 HIGH PRESSURE CAST IRON BURNER - Agri Supply

They both have model BG-14 mentioned.

Where best to buy them? I'll need 3 so cheap is best.

I thought the banjo burner was rated at like 250,000 BTU's not 100,000, I just got an SQ-14 and it is rated at 150,000 BTU's and I know the burner is smaller than that banjo.

I think those burners when purchased from Bayou Classic come with a 30PSI regulator.

You might want to email them to find out, propane is usually higher pressure, natural gas is a lower pressure, but the low pressure product says for propane only, so I think they have their info wrong.

Amazon.com: Bayou Classic BG14 Banjo Burner 10 in. x 10 in.: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon says to be used with a 30 PSI regulator only.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The higher the gas pressure the greater amount of air induction and the larger the flame. You can increase size of jet opening for use at lower pressures but the ability to induce air drops with pressure. You can take the same burner and drop the inlet gas pressure, drill out the jet, and adjust the air shutter but the total quantity of air/fuel through burner opening is smaller. What might be rated at 250K btu's at 30 PSI gas pressure will only develop 60-80K at 6" WC Natural gas pressure. You could experiment with jet size on Natural gas by increasing jet size until you reach point air shutter is wide open, that is the maximum output point of the burner at that pressure. The most efficient flame will be blue with a yellow tip, this is the point of lowest excess oxygen in flame and lowest level of combustion byproduct release. It does not do much good to have the flames halfway up the sides of the kettle when most of the heating effort is on the bottom. Folks would be suprised to find out that putting a vent opening in the keg skirt and reducing the flame level gets a lot more done than having the flames roll up the sides of the keg.

I am also building a brew rig, and was looking at buying three, too. I did buy one from amazon, via a different seller, and it seems like they are the same. Sorry I have not yet hooked mine up, but plan to do so this week. I bought a 30 lb regulator like others post on this forum everywhere, but realized I wished I had not. I visited a local propane place that sales propane accessories, and they showed me their adjustable regulator that has an extra port on the side, which allows for hooking up a pressure gauge. No more guessing how high you have the pressure turned up with that one, which would also allow finer tuning with the regulator/brewstand, with repeatable results.

As for the burner, I wasn't really satisfied with the quality of it. It will work well, but just not as pretty as I had hoped, with a few casting flaws on it.

Good luck, and post back what you decide to do.
-Ryan

I would look at the burners I purchased for my Brutus. Low pressure Hurricane burners from Northern Brewer Hurricane Burner. Low pressure are quiet and the Brutus system is designed to be a LOW pressure system.

The Northern Brewer price is cheaper than the ones you listed at 33.95 and MUCH better customer service

I would look at the burners I purchased for my Brutus. Low pressure Hurricane burners from Northern Brewer Hurricane Burner. Low pressure are quiet and the Brutus system is designed to be a LOW pressure system.

The Northern Brewer price is cheaper than the ones you listed at 33.95 and MUCH better customer service

and 7.99 shipping! I have 2 hurricanes on NG in my setup. I am pretty happy with the performance. I have been starting my boil with 10 gallons lately (7 gallon batches) and they boil pretty quick maybe 30 minutes from mash temp to boil. By far the best perk is no propane to think about!

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

I did go ahead and order the Hurricane Burners from Northern Brewer. I called them on Monday morning and talked to a very helpful guy. He said that the burners actually look like they could have came from the same manufacturer, but the Hurricane was "Maybe" a little nicer finish. He suggested the Hurricane, when I reminded him that it was the cheaper of the two, he implied that was even more reason.

I haven't ordered a regulator yet. I like the idea of a gage on the reg so would like to investigate that.

They are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Should have them installed and working in the next few years. I'm still collecting parts for my build. Damn I'm slow.

Thanks Again,

Ron

Two things to think about.

First, I would go ahead and get the low pressure regulator from No. Brewer for the hurricanes. designed and set- up for the burners you just ordered. simple enough.

second: Those burners, and all other cast iron burners, ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!!!

They are cast then drilled and tapped for their mounting screws. DO NOT think you can design a mount and then get them and drop them in. This is the only PITA with any of these burners. Have an idea about mounting them. Mount them to the burners THEN mount the mounts to the brutus or sculpture. Once you have them mounted and welded THEN remove them and mark which one goes where. (BK burner, MT burner, HLT burner) Makes life MUCH easier later on

Now that I have my Hurricane Burners, I need to order the fittings that come off of them. I plan to use either flare tubing or pipe fitting to a ball valve for flame control. Is there a special fitting I need to thread into the Hurricane?

Back