Ale Smith beer - San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bach7210

Reaction score
I grabbed one of their Extra Pale Ales over the weekend and noticed that they bottle condition their beer. I'm trying to get a starter going with the yeast that was left in the bottle. Does anyone know what strain this might be?

I'm willing to guess that they are using WLP001, white labs is based in San Diego (got its start in the back room of Home Brew Mart, and the WLP is really clean, I know a few of the brew-pubs here in SD use that strain, and for a APA, the WLP001 is always a good choise, if it's not right on, it'll be darn close

I'm willing to guess that they are using WLP001, white labs is based in San Diego (got its start in the back room of Home Brew Mart, and the WLP is really clean, I know a few of the brew-pubs here in SD use that strain, and for a APA, the WLP100 is always a good choise, if it's not right on, it'll be darn close

+1. They've got to be using cali ale on that.

You might want to ask them if its the same yeast used for primary fermentation. Sometimes breweries will use a different yeast when bottle conditioning.

You might want to ask them if its the same yeast used for primary fermentation. Sometimes breweries will use a different yeast when bottle conditioning.

For their normal beers, I doubt they'd bother. It is just clean ale yeast. I don't think that they'd have to worry unless the alcohol content was killing it off in the bigger beers like Speedway.

You could just email them. Peter is a homebrewer and he's cool with giving up the information on that.

I do believe the IPA was evven in zymurgy or BYO or something, and he said to use cali.

I always thought they used an English strain (WLP013 or WY1028) and fermented on the cooler side of the temp range. I would be interested to see what Peter says if you do end up emailing him.

Back