Amnt Priming sugar for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Anyone have a general rule of thumb for 5 gal batch of stout? I have heard 3/4 cup
and I have heard 1 3/4, but I am not sure of the batch volume. didn't have a recipe
just threw a pile of stuff together with Nothern Brewer hops and yeast. :cross:

NEPABREWER said:
Anyone have a general rule of thumb for 5 gal batch of stout? I have heard 3/4 cup
and I have heard 1 3/4, but I am not sure of the batch volume. didn't have a recipe
just threw a pile of stuff together with Nothern Brewer hops and yeast. :cross:

everything I am about to say applies to using corn sugar for carbonation (and not dry malt extract):

3/4 cup is the 'baseline' carbonation amount for 5 gallons. You can go a little above this or as far below as you want.

Never use more than 1 cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons! I don't know where you saw a quote of 1.75 cups, but that is just asking for bottle bombs. :)

Stouts are typically low in carbonation, and I use a little over 1/2 cup for stouts.

If you are priming with DME, the baseline amount is 1.25 cups.

Ahh. Maybe I read 1.25 cups for DME. I will try a little over .5 cups and see how we like it. Thank you

Back