Using the yeast sediment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowland

Reaction score
I read on the internet that large brewers sell their yeast sediment to be used in animal feed. I looked further on the subject apparently the yeast contains alot of high quailty protien and very very nutritious. I want to use the yeast myself as a food source instead of tipping it out (I hate wasting stuff, waste not want not). How to get the taste of hops out of the yeast sediment? I'm thinking if I can do this, I will mix it in with ground beef and BBQ it.

Anyone else been thinking along these lines?

rowland said:
I read on the internet that large brewers sell their yeast sediment to be used in animal feed. I looked further on the subject apparently the yeast contains alot of high quailty protien and very very nutritious. I want to use the yeast myself as a food source instead of tipping it out (I hate wasting stuff, waste not want not). How to get the taste of hops out of the yeast sediment? I'm thinking if I can do this, I will mix it in with ground beef and BBQ it.

Anyone else been thinking along these lines?

In the "German Wheat Beers" book I read that more than 30g of yeast per day might be bad for you. I have to reread this when I'm home tonight.

But yes, there is animal feed use of yeast sediment.

Kai

Kaiser said:
In the "German Wheat Beers" book I read that more than 30g of yeast per day might be bad for you. I have to reread this when I'm home tonight.
I received my copy of this book yesterday and it does say that, or something very close to it (I was trying to read it cover to cover last night...failed). Seems like the yeast sediment from a pint or two a day had lots of good nutrients and could be good for the skin(?), but mixing it with hamburger just sounds like a not good idea to me.

Go for it. Just use the sediment from the secondary, it will have less hops in it. Try a sample first, just dip some from the sediment. Try a web search for "brewers yeast recipe"?

I suspect you would overload on certain B vitamins (B1 & B12) quickly. Also, even if you can get the hops out, yeast is still rather bitter. Using yeast as a dietary suppliment, the recommended amount is 15 grams a day. A packet of dried yeast is 11-12 grams, for comparison.

I compost mine along with the hops & spent grain.

I wouldn't mind a recipe for vegimite. That stuff is expensive now, around $5-$10 a jar. On another planet, there are probably aliens who brew beer just so they can eat the yeast and wondering if the leftover beer can be used for anything.

Imperial Walker, I think it's pretty much just yeast, it's refered to as a yeast spread. It's very nice but very salty. I wouldn't mind making my own and cutting out the salt to make it healthier.

rowland said:
On another planet, there are probably aliens who brew beer just so they can eat the yeast and wondering if the leftover beer can be used for anything.
uh...yeah...probably...:confused:

I know this is off the topic, but did you all ever notice the google ads on pages about yeast (like this one)? All about yeast infections!

How do you wash yeast and is this a good way to get reusable pitching yeast? Thanks

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste is difficult to describe but is extremely salty and slightly bitter, and as might be expected, malty. While highly popular in Australia and New Zealand, it has never been successfully marketed elsewhere. It is notorious for the dislike it generates amongst some foreigners. Vegemite is not liked by all Australians - some find it far too salty to be palatable - but it remains an iconic symbol of Australia. It is available at some supermarkets and specialty food shops in a number of other countries.

I think the stuff tastes like crap dipped in salt. But some like it.

Back