Oops I broke something...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
The other day, I bottled my IPA which was dry hopped. I used a zip tie and paint strainer tied to the auto siphon as a filter. Unfortunately, when I went to pull out the autosiphon the zip tie/wand combo wasn't coming out of the carboy. I tried being easy on it but it broke on me. I have 3 dry hopped beers in secondary right now that I need to keg tonight. Is there a good way to still use a paint strainer/filter without an auto siphon to get them in the kegs? My LHBS isn't really worth the drive over there.

If you have a standard sanitized racking cane you can wrap the sanitized bag material around it and secure with a saniitary tie wrap. Push it into the beer to be siphoned. Connect sanitized tubing that is filled with sanitized water that is about 8 feet long when you connect it to the cane keep both ends of the tube at the same level (you need a good seal on the cane). Lower the free end of the tubing to get the siphon started. Make sure the beer is high enough so the siphon works well. It is always important to have a backup auto siphon but you already know this. :)

If you have a standard sanitized racking cane you can wrap the sanitized bag material around it and secure with a saniitary tie wrap. Push it into the beer to be siphoned. Connect sanitized tubing that is filled with sanitized water that is about 8 feet long when you connect it to the cane keep both ends of the tube at the same level (you need a good seal on the cane). Lower the free end of the tubing to get the siphon started. Make sure the beer is high enough so the siphon works well.

Even better.

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do and I'm not really looking forward to it. I never realized just how handy that auto siphon was, so I'm ordering 2 online right now! :rockin:

Still can't beat the Sure Screen on the end of a dip tube. I love it. I use a carboy cap and insert the dip tube into the center hole. I then pump CO2 into the other hole and force the beer into the "OUT" post of my keg. Works like a champ and virtually assures no oxidation.

I do it both ways and it depends on my mood I guess. No infections in 36 years so I guess it could be over kill but that's how the big guys do it at the brewery's. :)

Back