slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am not sure but it seems that my fermentation is a bit slow. I put my batch in the primary @ 1300 on saturday it is 0950 in the morning here mondya and I still dont see any signs of fermentation I was very carefull with temp and yeast I pitcheed a white labs liquid for my hefe. this is my first batch I had just recieved my kit and when I went to get my specific gravity I realised the hydrometer was broken. from what I read it seems like I shouldnt worry and leave it in the primary for 10 to 14 days and rack it into the secondary. what should I do? oh the thermometer on the outside of my primary says 68 degrees. thanks in advance for the help. I am a newb

Well, first of all, don't worry! Without a starter (you can search "yeast starter") in a liquid yeast, you can expect lag times of up to three days. Just keep it at 68 degrees and try to not think about it! In about 10 days, it'll be about done.

Sorry I wasnt trying to be gender specific I just say man alot when I talk. sorry didnt mean to offend you if I did

bulldogxray said:
Hey everyone I am not sure but it seems that my fermentation is a bit slow. I put my batch in the primary @ 1300 on saturday it is 0950 in the morning here mondya and I still dont see any signs of fermentation I was very carefull with temp and yeast I pitcheed a white labs liquid for my hefe. this is my first batch I had just recieved my kit and when I went to get my specific gravity I realised the hydrometer was broken. from what I read it seems like I shouldnt worry and leave it in the primary for 10 to 14 days and rack it into the secondary. what should I do? oh the thermometer on the outside of my primary says 68 degrees. thanks in advance for the help. I am a newb

This is why I always recommend a starter especially to new brewers. They are easy to make, don't take much time, and will save you much stress as you stare at your primary like an expecting father. :D

Yooper your a dream woman you homebrew and like hockey. :ban:

Although my wife enjoys me homebrewing (and helps some) and like hockey (well some) so she was a great find as well.

bulldogxray said:
Sorry I wasnt trying to be gender specific I just say man alot when I talk. sorry didnt mean to offend you if I did

Haha, I'm not offended. I was just messing with you a little. Most people assume I'm a guy, at first, I think.

But yeah, I play hockey, make homebrew, hunt and fish, and love football (I even won the football survivor pool here on HBT), so I can see why some people might think I'm a guy.

Anyway, GaryA just reminded me- I've got to go make a starter for my next brew! Liquid yeasts really do best with a starter, even though the package says, "Pitchable" on here. There are just not enough yeast cells in the package to get fermentation going fast, usually.

Back