Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember when it was just good planning to buy a months worth of groceries so you didn't have to go back for a month?

Now it's almost a crime and called hording. Why? Because we want to have a months worth of groceries so we don't have to go back for a month? New normal, lol.
I remember when buying a months worth of groceries = 2 cases of ramen.
With 4 kids now I gave up trying to buy too far ahead, I just can't do it.
Better question is can you remember going to the store and being able to get everything that was on your list?

And yet, he tried to get Steve Jobs to write the operating system for the new IBM home computer.
Jobs said he was too busy, but this kid he went to school with would probably do it for him. Kid named Billy Gates.
And Microsoft Windows GUI was born.
What I posted is not what I was trying to say.
What I was trying to say is that Bill Gates introduced software for LEASE, not for sale.
As far as I am aware, Bill Gates has NEVER sold a piece of software in his life!
How in the hell the GUI got in there is beyond me!

I’m old. Three things to never trust on old folks like me.
The bladder, the mouth and the brain!

I remember when buying a months worth of groceries = 2 cases of ramen.
With 4 kids now I gave up trying to buy too far ahead, I just can't do it.
Better question is can you remember going to the store and being able to get everything that was on your list?

Oh no! A couple of months ago I bought six cases of Ramen. I'm still enjoying it!

This was the **** when I was a kid in the 70's. There was nothing else like it.

1609905949391.png

Ahh the sound of my first adsl Internet connection. Wonderful. We would wait for pictures to manifest on the screen. Also upgrading my c64 cassette machine to a disc station. It was huge. And last but not less important: living without Google....

I was strictly a Bazooka kid, but that was a decade+ earlier. We didn't have those fancy chews back then :D

Cheers!
Youngsters!

Topp's, with REAL baseball cards. Not that fake crap you see today. Where's my Whitey Ford and Roger Maris, not to mention original Jackie Robinson?

Get off my lawn, kid.

Brooo Brother

How about stressing out about calling up a girl for the first time: would her dad pick up or worse what if she really wasn't interested in talking to you?

How about stressing out about calling up a girl for the first time: would her dad pick up or worse what if she really wasn't interested in talking to you?

How about "party lines" when some unknown "party" (other household, usually unknown "who") might pick up their phone and listen in on your private conversation?

Hard to make progress with your girlfriend when some unidentified neighbor might be getting their jollys at your expense.

Heck, our first phone system went straight to an operator (aka "armstrong switching unit" ;)) who if she (it was always a woman) had nothing better to do could have listened in to any conversation.

Fortunately in that era I was more interested in seeing who wanted to play baseball or hockey or have BB gun fights...

Cheers! ;)

it didn't feel like you had to fight for food in your own damn house? I've got a 21 y/o who moved out last year...but I've also got 15 y/o twins in the house. The 4 of us have always been really active with metabolisms to match but...man...I have had...and continue to have so many damn

"I wonder if there is any <X> left?" - Nope
"I think I'll make myself a..." - Nope
"How in the heck did you figure out where I hid <Y>???!!!"

Ok folks, political commentary is not allowed outside of the "Debate" forum. This thread went off the rails with political posts. Multiple posts deleted, and thread locked for a cooling down period.

doug293cz
HBT Moderator

Thread is reopened, but if the political comments start showing up again, it will be locked again.

doug293cz

Reporters were at a loss of words to explain Pac Man. Remember when there were Pac Man tournaments?

Hahahaha! Hells yes!! And what made you remember these? 😁
I grew up in peak "S&H Green Stamps" and immediately remember a couple of the toys I cajoled out of my mom's stamp booklet collection :)

Cheers!
I remember those things vividly, though not particularly fondly. My lasting memory is how anything that I wanted always seemed to be out of the reach of stamps in the book.

It was like the carnival arcade game when you thought you’d knocked down enough bowling pins to win your girlfriend that stuffed rabbit, but the midway barker would move the goalposts and change the rules.

Somehow when redemption time came around, there were never enough green stamps to get that new bike. I guess today we’d call it “stampflation.”

Back