Extract potential in metric units?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metic

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking for some help designing recipes and making adjustments on brew day.

I tend to measure in kilograms and litres when brewing, and converting to pounds and gallons when I need to. I've been using the equations in chapter 5 ofRay Daniels' book to understand total gravity units and extract potential, but this requires converting back and forth between metric and imperial measurements, which is quite cumbersome. Can anyone point me towards a similar resource to chapters 5 and 6 of that book for brewers using metric measurements?

Yes, I found myself facing the same issue. I think the easiest way is to deal with % yield instead. You can get % yield from pts/lb/gal by dividing by the reference which is sucrose at 46. For example, pale malt 2-row US has pt/lb/gal yield of 36. % yield = 36/46 = 78.3%.

You can then determine the pt/kg/l by multiplying this by the reference for sucrose in metric units which is 386 pts/kg/l. For example, the pt/kg/l yield for pale malt 2-row US is 0.783*386 pts/kg/l = 302 pts/kg/l.

Alternatively, you can do this all in one step: 36/46*386 = 36*8.3913. Just remember the conversion factor of 8.3913!

Latest posts

Back