American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you will be racking into it Tuesday, I think I would cold crash now, transfer/bottle/keg tomorrow night and use the yeast cake tuesday.

If you could wait a week to brew the big beer you speak of, then I would move this fermenter to warmer temps because you almost certainly would gain a few points if you went to say 68ish...

I am going to give this a try. I had to tweak a little bit based on what was available locally.

Golden Light LME 6.6 lbs
Munich LME 3.3 lbs
CaraHell (Caramel 10-15) .5lb
Cascade Hops 2oz
Nottingham Ale Yeast 1-pack

I had a little of mine today because i didnt have enough for a full bottle so i bottled it anyways to use in a chili which i cooked today and i love it. It feels familiar and yet completely different. Even uncarbed i love it. But i plan to hide a couple away for a couple of months from now. Thanks for the great recipie

I did this recipe and got an OG of 1.054 on the 18th of Feb. On Feb 29th it was only a SG of 1.024 so I left it. I need the carboy so the question is? Do I bottle it now or rack to a secondary for another week to see if the gravity drops. This is my first all grain.
Thanks

I did this recipe and got an OG of 1.054 on the 18th of Feb. On Feb 29th it was only a SG of 1.024 so I left it. I need the carboy so the question is? Do I bottle it now or rack to a secondary for another week to see if the gravity drops. This is my first all grain.
Thanks
Definitely don't move it.

Yeast type?
Fermentation temp?
Pitch rate?

Also, what are you using as a primary and secondary vessel? I use my better bottles, glass carboys, and plastic buckets interchangeably. I will primary in all of them. If I do secondary, I will also use all of them unless it is a long secondary.

My point is what are you wanting to rack the beer into because you may be able to use that vessel instead.

Definitely don't move it.

Yeast type?
Fermentation temp?
Pitch rate?

Also, what are you using as a primary and secondary vessel? I use my better bottles, glass carboys, and plastic buckets interchangeably. I will primary in all of them. If I do secondary, I will also use all of them unless it is a long secondary.

My point is what are you wanting to rack the beer into because you may be able to use that vessel instead.

The yeast was Nottingham dry pitched at 70oF
Fermented two weeks at 68oF to 71oF
Fermentation was very active the first three days then slowed Now the SG is only at 1.024
It is in my 6 Gal Better Bottle I need for the Belgian Saison we are doing today. My other two Primaries are still full with a Pilsner and the other has last weeks Oatmeal Stout. If the beer will do more I can move it to a 5 Gal glass carboy I have as my secondary. I sanitize well with Star san so I'm not worried about the transfer. Or should I be?
Thanks

If the beer will do more I can move it to a 5 Gal glass carboy I have as my secondary. I sanitize well with Star san so I'm not worried about the transfer. Or should I be? Thanks[/QUOTE said:
If you rack off of the yeast cake you are drastically reducing your ability to reach target FG. Have you tried to slightly stir the yeast back into suspension?

The yeast was Nottingham dry pitched at 70oF
Fermented two weeks at 68oF to 71oF
Fermentation was very active the first three days then slowed Now the SG is only at 1.024
It is in my 6 Gal Better Bottle I need for the Belgian Saison we are doing today. My other two Primaries are still full with a Pilsner and the other has last weeks Oatmeal Stout. If the beer will do more I can move it to a 5 Gal glass carboy I have as my secondary. I sanitize well with Star san so I'm not worried about the transfer. Or should I be?
Thanks

If you want to brew today, you could scale down your Saison recipe to 4-4.25 gallons and use the 5 gal carboy as your primary.

If you want to brew today, you could scale down your Saison recipe to 4-4.25 gallons and use the 5 gal carboy as your primary.

Great thoughts! Thanks for your prompt input. I was never good at waiting.
I did several times try to stir it up a bit after fermentation slowed; it laughed at me and settled again.

Great thoughts! Thanks for your prompt input. I was never good at waiting.
I did several times try to stir it up a bit after fermentation slowed; it laughed at me and settled again.

You are using a hydrometer to measure and not a refractometer right?
Did you aerate the wort really good when you pitched?

You are using a hydrometer to measure and not a refractometer right?
Did you aerate the wort really good when you pitched?

I use a refractometer. This way I use a smaller sample not dependent on temperature.
When I started I used the hydrometer then when I went to the Brix scale I used both. I was getting the same numbers so now I just use a refractometer.
I use a 0.5 Micron stainless steel aeration with pure oxygen for one minute after cool and in the carboy.
The activity was great for the first three days then tapered off. Today I got the same numbers I was at two days ago so from all I have read I thought it was done. I know it will age in the bottles some too. Every batch we make a put a six pack in the vault for 6 months to taste it after ageing. We are lucky the six pack makes it.

Is your thermometer off? You may have unintentionally mashed high. After a few brews ending up with FGs slightly higher than expected, I checked my thermometer in ice water and it was off at least a couple degrees.

I use a refractometer. This way I use a smaller sample not dependent on temperature.
When I started I used the hydrometer then when I went to the Brix scale I used both. I was getting the same numbers so now I just use a refractometer.
I use a 0.5 Micron stainless steel aeration with pure oxygen for one minute after cool and in the carboy.
The activity was great for the first three days then tapered off. Today I got the same numbers I was at two days ago so from all I have read I thought it was done. I know it will age in the bottles some too. Every batch we make a put a six pack in the vault for 6 months to taste it after ageing. We are lucky the six pack makes it.

So you accounted for the alcohol in the sample with the refractometer? I find that they don't work right after fermentation starts. They can tell OG great and day to day differences, but not good for accurately reading gravity in beer. Try a hydrometer. I bet the real value is lower than 1.024.

I just made the extract version of this last night. My thermo light read 73 degrees through the glass on the carboy when I pitched. It may have been 10 to 15 degrees hotter though because the pan reading was mid 80's when I transferred. Then I shook the hell out of it. It hasn't really started up yet and it is 15 hours later. Just a tiny krausen and airlock bubbles appear at about 2 min intervals. I think I will pitch another packet in the morning if it continues this slow. Not trying to be impatient, just don't know if the wort was cool enough. I plan to transfer this to a keg in one or two weeks. I want to streamline a go to beer to a simple quick process that goes from pot to keg in 7 days.:mug:

Is your thermometer off? You may have unintentionally mashed high. After a few brews ending up with FGs slightly higher than expected, I checked my thermometer in ice water and it was off at least a couple degrees.

I do check the temp with a couple of thermometers. I try to mash around 155oF for 60 mins. Sometimes it’s a degree or two less. I pre warm my mash tun before I mash. I then clear the first run and sparge with water at 169 to 170oF. I have read and heard from many that this works well. Is this OK?

Had my first beer of this yesterday and wowza!! Very good. Thanks Ed for the recipe.

I just made the extract version of this last night. My thermo light read 73 degrees through the glass on the carboy when I pitched. It may have been 10 to 15 degrees hotter though because the pan reading was mid 80's when I transferred. Then I shook the hell out of it. It hasn't really started up yet and it is 15 hours later. Just a tiny krausen and airlock bubbles appear at about 2 min intervals. I think I will pitch another packet in the morning if it continues this slow. Not trying to be impatient, just don't know if the wort was cool enough. I plan to transfer this to a keg in one or two weeks. I want to streamline a go to beer to a simple quick process that goes from pot to keg in 7 days.:mug:

My final temp is through a in line thermometer going into the carboy. I pitch at 72oF. I just started to make starters for my yeast to help it gain ground from the beginning.

Had my first beer of this yesterday and wowza!! Very good. Thanks Ed for the recipe.

I did taste a bit before we bottled and it is awesome. I can't wait till it ages a bit. I think this could be my new everyday beer.
And yes I too want to thank Ed for the recipe. It is great beer that was easy to make as our first all grain.
:tank:

HausPaleAleweb.jpg

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

HausAle3.jpg

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

How would it effect the extract recipe if I could only get pale lme. That would be in place of the extra pale lme? Would it be the same beer? Is there something else I should do differently? My LHBS doesn't carry extra pale.

How would it effect the extract recipe if I could only get pale lme. That would be in place of the extra pale lme? Would it be the same beer? Is there something else I should do differently? My LHBS doesn't carry extra pale.

It be a bit darker in color but wouldnt have much effect on taste IMHO. It will still taste yummy!!!

I can't wait to taste mine. It should be conditioned this weekend. I really like what I tasted when I bottled. I like that it is a fast turn around beer to make too.

I just brewed a batch and it came out high on the osg. It was right at a 1.070. Either way, I am really excited to try it. So far it smells and tastes pretty amazing.

I used

Golden Light LME 6.6 lbs
Munich LME 3.3 lbs
CaraHell (Caramel 10-15) .5lb (steep at 154 for 30 minutes, turn burner back on, remove grains bag at 170)
Cascade Hops 2oz
Nottingham Ale Yeast 1-pack
Total size going into the primary was right at 5 gallons.

I had this on my list of recipes for a while, and decided to make it just over a month ago. I tried the 1st bottle tonight and decided I should have made this sooner! Like other have said, simple recipe with great results!! If you haven't tried making it yet, just do it. :)
It'll be a great beer for poker night this Sunday.

Along with the MANY comments here this recipe is simple and great. I've done this brew BIAB style at least 5 times. So I've recently invested in a cooler mash tun and brewed it last Fri. I'm using White Lads 001 and dry hopping with 1 oz of Simco ........can't wait

the modified version of this was a huge hit at the BBQ BB playoff party last night, on two counts. The pale ale itself - secondaried on grapes and oak - creamy, hint of fruity sweet, slight oak finish got excellent reviews, best pale ever was even said. I brought five pounds of chicken to grill that had been marinating for eight hours in a brine consisting of salt and two bombers of this same brew, a beer brine, which added fantastic flavor to the grilled chicken and of course went well with the accompanying brew itself. Good times, good food, good beer!

Where has this recipe been all my life :eek:

Consider my face rocked. By far one of the best beers I have brewed. I am getting started on another batch this weekend because I know it won't last long in my keg.

Cheers for a great recipe with super fast turn around time. :mug:

This was my first AG brew. I undershot my mash temp and didn't have a hop spider to filter the pellets so I doubt it'll be as clear as I'd like, but it's chugging away in the carboy. Now to try and RDWHAHB for the next 4-8 weeks before I drink it.

I brewed this and love it. I plan on brewing Yooper's House Pale at some point as well, because they are so similar. I guess I'm looking for a house recipe of my own, and trying to decide between light and hop-forward (EW) and more ballanced (Yoop). This one will be hard to top!

This was my first all grain, bottled March 2nd. It took awhile to carb up, probably because I moved it to a secondary. Now that it's getting carbed up I like it. Hoping it gets a little better with age, the hops are a little light. I also have a chill haze, it has a faint haze in the bottle that get worse when chilled. I'm having problems with my boil, the indoor stovetop just isn't getting the job done, so poor hot break = haze? I also figured out how to get a better chill since I made this batch, so I was getting a poor cold break = haze. But... I can live with the haze, or better stated, I can drink through it! This is a great brew! I will work with it until I fix all my problems.

I brewed this as my first AG brew on 2/20. I let it ferment for 17 days. I had an OF of 1.054 and it dropped to 1.012. It has been conditioning for 2 weeks today. I put one in the fridge this morning and just cracked it open. It is a little flat still but the overall taste is very very good. I was wondering if how much longer do you think it will take to finish carbing up?

Thanks for this very simple and very delicious recipe. :mug:

dstamper441 said:
I gotta find Yooper's House Pale. I already love Edwort's Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale--I've done it at least 3 times, and it's terrific.

Search for. All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale and you'll find it. I'd give yo the direct link, but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the URL when browsing via the iPad app.

I gotta find Yooper's House Pale. I already love Edwort's Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale--I've done it at least 3 times, and it's terrific.

I never fail with this - after a few good batches, try a different strain of yeast, or maybe substitute Munich for the Vienna...I have never had a bad batch..

Back