Air compressor regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use an air compressor regulator for kegging? The ones they sell at Lowe's are ~$30. The ones they sell on line are ~$60.

However, I'd rather pay double for something that is not going to kill me or make my beer taste like ass.

What do you guys think?

That there would be some issues. First, the connection to the tank.

You would have to adapt that side to the CO2 tank. I am also fairly sure that a compressed air regulator isn't built to handle the pressure of a CO2 tank.

Next, would be granularity. If you look around the boards, guys are running their rigs anywhere from 5psi to 15psi for dispensing of beer. If the air regulator doesn't do fine grain adjustment at those low pressures, you will be humped.

In short, I wouldn't do it. Not worth the hassle or uncertainty.

Micromatic sells a line of inexpensive regulators that can be had for thirty seven bucks plus shipping:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-841.html

Or you could get their premium model for fourty four bucks plus shipping:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-641.html

Doesn't seem to me that saving twenty bucks is worth the time or effort, especially considering the work you put into making the beer.

Gedvondur

Gedvondur said:
Doesn't seem to me that saving twenty bucks is worth the time or effort, especially considering the work you put into making the beer.

It does to me when you want to have seven regulators. I paid less than $10 each for mine.

I got a bunch of these. They were on sale (and they frequently are) for $4.99, and I got a bunch of 0-30 psi regulators for under $4 each.

You do have to be careful with inexpensive air tool regulators. The cheap ones (like these ones are generally not true pressure regulators. You'll notice that the one I linked is called an air flow regulator. While this will work fine for a paint gun, it won't work for pushing beer.

NOTE: I just re-read your original post and realized I need to make something clear. You CANNOT use an air compressor regulator as your primary regulator connected to your co2 tank!!! Household air compressors are limited to 125psi. The pressure of the gas in a co2 tank is around 800psi (I think). I'm pretty sure a small air compressor regulator will spectacularly fail when faced with that kind of pressure. I will use mine as secondary regulators after my primary regulator.

-S

Back