bulk LME on CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
How long you guys figure bulk LME on CO2 stays good for at an LHBS? I'm trying to track on off flavor I've noticed recently, and noticed that its only on 2 out of the 3 beers I have on tap currently, and the only common denominators between the two beers are that I used my LHBS's bulk LME on each, one was an extract batch with steeping grains, and the other a partial mash, also both were finished with cascade (which on a side note I'm not sure I'm crazy about that hop) and both used us05. The third beer I have on tap is NB's Surly Bitter Brewer, a partial mash made with DME instead of LME and fermented with wlp007.

This off flavor is hard to describe, but its almost like (follow me here) the taste you get from ice that's been left in a freezer too long (a freezer without a box of baking soda in it). Its only noticeable in the finish, the way bad ice tastes too. I'm trying to track it down, and although I mostly partial mash (no room for AG) I would like to be able to keep buying and using bulk lme because I can buy what I need when I need it.

I've got some investigating left to do (tap water vs. spring/bottled, brewer error) , but was wondering what sort of turn over would be required to keep bulk LME "fresh" even on CO2. If it means switching to DME for good, then so be it. My LHBS is a great shop, and I won't name it, especially because I have no idea if this is where the off flavor is coming from.

Back