Health

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to get...concerned.

I was diagnosed with GERD about 10 years ago and have been taking prilosec since, but lately I've been having really bad bouts of acid reflux. I mean so bad I'll wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach all the way to my throat just on fire. Literally, it feels like it is on fire. I also have a really strong pain in the center of my chest/stomach right where my sternum bone ends. Wow...it takes a lot for me to go to the doctor, but I almost had to go to the emergency room the other night.

I've tried to cut down on spicy foods--but it seems that BEER really agitates it lately. I go nights where I can't even think of drinking a beer because it is so bad.

I'm just wondering if anyone else suffers from symptoms similar to this and what they are prolly gonna do to me at the doctor. I'm thinking I need to make an appointment for this pretty soon.

:(

You already know this but... get it checked out. I wake up now and then like that but it's only when I'm at a higher weight and/or stuff myself before going to sleep. Beer doesn't seem to affect it but, for me, wine seems to contribute. Really though for me it's gain weight = issues and lose weight = no issues.

I'm also one who avoids the doc at all costs but you simply can't take chances with your health. Hopefully it's just something you can control with a diet change (that doesn't involve a loss of beer).

I highly recommend you send your beer to me for safe drinking.

Sorry I can't help any more than that, but I'll be glad to drink your beer.

I've had acid reflux for decades and have found that any alcoholic beverage can aggravate it, not just beer. The doctor says it is due to the relaxation of the stomach's upper sphincter, which allows acid to enter the esophagus. I was on meds for a while, but I keep it under control by not drinking in the late evening or when I might be eating heavily. Keeping my weight down helps. And drinking a lot of water.

Really puts a cramp on the holidays & homebrew club meetings, even with the long drive home to settle things. By the same token, the long drive home makes me limit my drinking anyway.

Sounds like you have a much more severe case. In extreme cases (like one of my brothers-in-law) they will put an o-ring around the top of the stomach to help the muscle. This really puts a cramp in your consumption of just about everything. Paul lost 40 pounds in the year after the operation.

I'm not sure what your coffee/soda intake is, but I heard that caffiene also relaxes the upper esophagous, allowing stomach acid to give a heartburn effect.

Hope this helps.

:)

Dude said:
You think I'm crazy too? :rockin:

Nah silly, I mean the doctor - I forgot you American people feel the need to see a shrink every month.
I only go to the doctor when it is bad. the last time I went was bronchitis :cross:
That was not good.

Hey, Dude--

I am an ER physician--
First off, what dose of prilosec are you on??

Second, much of what has been posted here already is true. Things you want to avoid:

1. Alcohol--directly attacks the stomach lining, and decreases the pressure of the LES.
2. Minty foods
3. Grease
4. Caffeine--Lowers pressure of the LES
5. Nicotine--increases acid production
6. Spicy foods
7. Exogenous Acid.
8. Foods high in Calcium--Calcium stimulates Gastrin release in the stomach which directly stimulates the parietal cells to produce acid. So, if you take too many Tums with Calcium, you may actually get worse.

I would watch what you eat/drink for the next 2 weeks, and depending on your prilosec dose, you may be able to increase it. You can also use Famotidine, Ranitidine, or Cimetidine (I personally like Famotidine) for breakthrough. You may also benefit from a medication such as Carafate, and you may want to be tested for H. pylorii. Talk to your doctor about these options. If you continue to worsen, or you max out on meds, you may need endoscopy.

Your doc may also do an upper GI series looking for frank evidence of reflux, or a hiatal hernia. Leastways, i doubt they are going to do anything major invasive.

Just my free, long distance advice----

And, I have the same problem as you. :mug:

david_42 said:
I've had acid reflux for decades and have found that any alcoholic beverage can aggravate it, not just beer. The doctor says it is due to the relaxation of the stomach's upper sphincter, which allows acid to enter the esophagus. I was on meds for a while, but I keep it under control by not drinking in the late evening or when I might be eating heavily. Keeping my weight down helps. And drinking a lot of water.

Really puts a cramp on the holidays & homebrew club meetings, even with the long drive home to settle things. By the same token, the long drive home makes me limit my drinking anyway.

Sounds like you have a much more severe case. In extreme cases (like one of my brothers-in-law) they will put an o-ring around the top of the stomach to help the muscle. This really puts a cramp in your consumption of just about everything. Paul lost 40 pounds in the year after the operation.

Sounds like you are talking about the lap-band operation which is for weight loss.

There are multiple surgeries they can do for reflux, including a Nissen Fundiplication (they wrap the fundus/greater curvature around the entrance in order to increase the pressure of the LES). Some refractory cases may get a vagotomy (actylcholine from the Vagus nerve stimulates acid production), but these things are absolute last resorts. . .

The good thing about the Nissen procedure is that you can't puke after having it!!:tank:

How great to get some good information! I hope you get this resolved soon, even if it means trying different medication or even something more drastic.

Just a very small suggestion that helped someone else I know- make sure the head of your bed is a bit higher than the foot. maybe a brick under the mattress at the head. If it gets worse at night while you're lying down, raising the head can help the reflux. I don't know if it'll work when it's as severe as yours, but maybe it'll help. Of course, you might already be doing that. Of couse, losing weight (if you need to) makes a huge difference, too.

Best wishes to feeling better;

Lorena

Hey Dude, sorry to hear about the belly problems. I would definitely take the ER docs advice and and see your pill pusher. I also had problems with acid (the stomach variety:D ) though not as bad as yours sounds. SWMBO gave me a book called "Fit For Life" which seemed like just another diet fad book and it probably fits into that category, but some of the premises in it made sense. It's based on natural hygiene (yet another made up fad) or how to combine, or avoid combinations, of foods that help make your body's life better. When I stopped eating fruits with other foods and ate them only on an empty stomach, it made a huge improvement in my stomach issues. I actually went full boat and avoided certain combinations all the time, eventually becoming a vegetarian. Of course, after 10 years of that, the call of the buffalo wing was too much to resist, but I still try to follow some of it. You may want to give it a try so you can avoid, or minimize, taking medication.

BTW, if you have to avoid beer altogether, I'll be happy to "store" it for you.:p

Ever had your gall bladder checked out? I was misdiagnosed with gerd and it ended up being gall stones. Had my gall bladder removed and now I can eat everything pain free. ( i guess my waist shows it too) :)

good luck

loop

Exactly what loopmd said, happened to my son and they were talking about removing the gall bladder....NOT on my watch!

Nissen Fundiplication

I'll be the first to say, it wasn't my operation & my in-law was a cop not a doctor, so he might have gotten it garbled; but the operation was specifically for reflux & he had a heck of a time swallowing his food afterwards.

Dude, What I said on the green board:D No seriously I had an Endo because of the scarring on my esophogas(sic) and got so I couldn't swallow. SWMBO finnaly made an appt with the gastro guys for me because I was "too much of a man" to go myself. It was the best thing I ever did. Been problem free mostly for the last 4 yrs, A little burn if I forget to take my meds for a day or two(Previcid after the insurance comp nixed the Nexium) But for the most part good. Get it checked, you'll be glad trust me.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Dude, What I said on the green board:D No seriously I had an Endo because of the scarring on my esophogas(sic) and got so I couldn't swallow. SWMBO finnaly made an appt with the gastro guys for me because I was "too much of a man" to go myself. It was the best thing I ever did. Been problem free mostly for the last 4 yrs, A little burn if I forget to take my meds for a day or two(Previcid after the insurance comp nixed the Nexium) But for the most part good. Get it checked, you'll be glad trust me.

Yeah, I read that thanks. I'm going in to the doc Wednesday. :eek: We'll see what happens.

What do they call this procedure again, so I can ask about it?

Dude said:
Yeah, I read that thanks. I'm going in to the doc Wednesday. :eek: We'll see what happens.

What do they call this procedure again, so I can ask about it?

The endoscopy is where they run a probe with a camera on it down your throat. An upper GI is where they make you drink a barium solution while they x-ray you. A lower GI is where they shoot the barium up your ass and take x-rays of it. :D

When they did my endo they ended up using a balloon to enlarge the diameter of my esoph. It was less than the diameter of my little finger. Had that done twice.

SwAMi75 said:
The endoscopy is where they run a probe with a camera on it down your throat. An upper GI is where they make you drink a barium solution while they x-ray you. A lower GI is where they shoot the barium up your ass and take x-rays of it. :D

GAWD. I hope I'm put under for all of those procedures. :eek:

I had some testing done last year and they used some strange stuff where I was awake during the procedure & could answer questions, but don't remember much & didn't feel anything.

Just have a big stinking hot curry the night before and a dozen HBs.

Pretty sure it will be quick if you do that.

Sorry - I have not a sympathic bone in my body - my wife is a nurse and she beat it out of me :( I do try to have sympathy sometimes but...
...no not the stick arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dude,
I've lived most of my life with acid reflux and a hiatal hernia. Recently I started taking prescription strength Prilosec and it has made a world of difference for me.
I've had an upper GI endoscopy and the procedure with the balloon to expand my esophagus. That really made a difference. I only have problems now if I eat something really spicy right before I go to bed.

They gave me something they said would relax me before the procedure. I remember them putting it into the IV. The next thing I remember was waking up. It was quite easy and barely hurt. I had a very minor sore throat after.

If I sleep on my back my acid reflux goes up so high it starts to choke me and I wake up not able to breath, gasping for breath. Acid reflux brings the suck.

david_42 said:
I'll be the first to say, it wasn't my operation & my in-law was a cop not a doctor, so he might have gotten it garbled; but the operation was specifically for reflux & he had a heck of a time swallowing his food afterwards.

Yep, sound like some sort of fundiplication

I take Nexium. Coffee and OJ really bother me but the Nexium usually is all I need. good luck at the doc

I went to the doc today and I have an upper GI scheduled for a few weeks from now. I really hope I'm put under for that--I'll be gagging and throwing up all over the office otherwise. Also got a blood test for H. Pylori, a bacteria that causes hiatal hernias. She said that might be causing that extreme pain above my stomach.

In the meantime, I'm up to 2 doses of prilosec a day now.

Dude said:
I went to the doc today and I have an upper GI scheduled for a few weeks from now. I really hope I'm put under for that--I'll be gagging and throwing up all over the office otherwise. Also got a blood test for H. Pylori, a bacteria that causes hiatal hernias. She said that might be causing that extreme pain above my stomach.

In the meantime, I'm up to 2 doses of prilosec a day now.

I feel your pain Dude. When they diagnosed me with GERD, I had myself a sweet little upper GI. I had to stay awake so I could swallow down two bigass Barium milkshakes on command. Not to mention I had to do this while twisting myself around like a circus act. Oh, and the pop rocks to expand your stomach. Oh sweet Jesus. But don't worry, you'll make it through. ;)

trinitone said:
I feel your pain Dude. When they diagnosed me with GERD, I had myself a sweet little upper GI. I had to stay awake so I could swallow down two bigass Barium milkshakes on command. Not to mention I had to do this while twisting myself around like a circus act. Oh, and the pop rocks to expand your stomach. Oh sweet Jesus. But don't worry, you'll make it through. ;)

Not that he's trying to make you squirm or anything...

Drinking the barium stuff was kinda nasty, but I never even thought about puking. The stuff will make you crap gravel, though. Remember that. :D

I was dreading the endo, though. It wound up getting cancelled and I never rescheduled.

Just got home from my upper endoscopy. I'm feeling a little loopy but that's all. I have the rest of the day off but I'm not suppose to drive until 7:30pm. I was expecting them to tell me I have an ulcer but it is gastritis and a hiatal hernia. One thing I found strange was that I don't have to cut back on soda, coffee, or hot sauce. I have been cutting back on all of these anyway but I'm really happy about the hot sauce, I've used it once in about 3 months so it will be good to get my fix again!
I still have to continue my low-fat, low-grease diet which is ok, I've been eating a salad everyday but 3 days for lunch for 1 1/2 months. My problem is Friday/Saturday night when I go out for calzones or BBQ.

Started to have gastric problems (think it was the start of a hiatus hernia) after piling on the weight, decided enough was enough and lost almost twenty pounds, problem gone.

My brother in law had an op to stop gastric reflux (he had it bad), its the one that somebody else described were you can't vomit even if you want to.
He was overweight at the time and the docs had to open up the chest cavity through the ribs to get at it.
When he come round he was in agony, he was getting v. high doses of morphine but was still in agony for the best part of a week (at one point he wanted to jump out the window of the hospital to kill himself, thats how bad the pain was). He was later told that he could have slimmed down it could have been done by keyhole (was he p*ssed off or what). To compound matters they ended up infecting the wound with MRSA which destroyed a lot of tissue around the scar (has to wear a corset thing to keep things were they should be).
I guess the moral of the story is if you have to get an op like this, make sure you slim down first!!!!!!!

Back