Can I use this welder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
First, I have laid the sum total of 4ft of bead in my life, about 9yrs ago. I know virtually nothing about welding, but don't mind learning something new.

This just came up on my area CL: Miller welder 240v, $125, here's the link:

http://roanoke.craigslist.org/tls/1657038417.html

I called the guy and he said he used it years ago and didn't know what he was doing and hasn't used it since. No 240v in his garage now. He said a needle that went to a crank on the top or side is broken, he thinks it was to tell amperage, he also said one post on a lead is loose.

Again I don't know anything about welders or welding, is this worth it or to broken to worry about. Any specific questions I should ask, keeping in mind he doesn't know much either?

I would like to weld brewstand type material, as well as fittings for my upcoming ekeggle project. Can this welder do it? But I guess the real question will be can I. Thanks for the help.

Mose

Don't bother. It's a stick welder in poor condition. If it works, you'd be able to make a brew stand with it, but it's nearly useless for welding on kegs. There's a thread about successfully stick welding fittings to kegs, but that was done by a VERY talented welder, and I'd be surprised to see anyone duplicate the results.

Having done some minor welding I'd say this may work. You'll defiantly need the higher amp receptical to use this.
If the needle that is broken is just for the amperage and the dial still works I wouldn't worry too much about it. With a little trial and error on scrap pieces of steel you can figure out what current setting and feed rate you need.
I don't see any bottles of shielding gas, so this is likely going to require welding wire that has it's own flux. See if the guy has wire with it.
This is just a start, I'd wait until some body who knows welding. There are enough pros around here, you should get some great help.

Don't bother. It's a stick welder in poor condition. If it works, you'd be able to make a brew stand with it, but it's nearly useless for welding on kegs. There's a thread about successfully stick welding fittings to kegs, but that was done by a VERY talented welder, and I'd be surprised to see anyone duplicate the results.

I did a quick search and saw Northern Tools has a new 240v arc for $150, doesn't seem like it would be worth the savings if it's busted up a little.

I'm a little nervous about welding stainless from what you're saying. The internets make it sound so appealing. Maybe I'll still make a go of it for a stand etc...and go weldess on the fittings. The Mrs would like a welded light for the dinning room anyway, so the excuse to purchase is in place. Right up until I explain the cost of the list of materials for the electric build I'm planning.

Thanks for all the knowledge up on the board.

For twice the price, you can get a brand new Hobart Stickmate. Do some reading about the different welding processes to be sure that this is the type of welding you want to do. Search terms should include:

TIG
MIG
stick
SMAW
GTAW
GMAW
FCAW
wire feed
flux core

I have thought it would be good to have a welder around and know something about it, and my wife brought up how it would be good to know someone who welds to help with a couple projects, so needless to say I am jumping at the opportunity.

Getting into serious welding like some of you guys do is really not an option now, to many hobbies as it is. Not to mention since reading this forum I now need to build an AG set up, fermenter chamber, and motorized grain mill. I have the keg, mini fridge, motor, and looking at a slug buster set on Ebay. The parts are coming together but it'll take a little time.

I would say you guys are a bad influence...but we all know that isn't true.

Stick Welder= CRAP

They are worthless welders that are utilized in heavy steel applications outdoors. This is not the type of welder you want for precise/clean welds. In order to weld SS correctly a TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) welder is needed and even then in order to weld SS cleanly, takes ALOT of practice.

In my opinion the welder you are looking at is worthless unless ofcourse you have money burning a hole in your pocket. Save your money and buy a MIG (wirefeed). Even a 110V MIG welder with shielding gas (or without if you are doing flux wire) can give you great results with clean steel up to 1/4" thickness.

I think that settles it, I'll leave the welding to the big boys and spend my money on parts for the system. With an electric system I can get any old stand or cart, or old kitchen cabinets and it'll work fine. No need to buy a welder to do that. Or at least not yet.

You can convert a dc machine into a TIG with a gun and gas setup. My buddy has a bunch of stainless rod that he has been wanting to try burning. Maybe we'll play on a keg with some :p

SouthernYankee, I have followed your thread and it was part of the inspiration to dive in and maybe learn to weld some for this project.

I just did a quick review of your thread and didn't see if you used Weldless fittings or welded couplings. I'm mentally stuck on being able to weld fittings if I'm going to get into welding at all, but don't know enough yet to determine if it must be done with full out TIG, especially considering some have soldered fittings in their keggles.

I'm going to do some reading on what I can do and how. I looked on ebay last night and found a couple Mig-flux core welders for $150. Any opinions on a factory recoditioned Campbell Hausfeld Mig or Flux-core welder for $150?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campbell-Hausfe...mQQptZBI_Welding_Supplies?hash=item5ad8147f6b

Thanks.

SouthernYankee, I have followed your thread and it was part of the inspiration to dive in and maybe learn to weld some for this project.

I just did a quick review of your thread and didn't see if you used Weldless fittings or welded couplings. I'm mentally stuck on being able to weld fittings if I'm going to get into welding at all, but don't know enough yet to determine if it must be done with full out TIG, especially considering some have soldered fittings in their keggles.

I'm going to do some reading on what I can do and how. I looked on ebay last night and found a couple Mig-flux core welders for $150. Any opinions on a factory recoditioned Campbell Hausfeld Mig or Flux-core welder for $150?

Thanks.

Mose,
I used weldless fittings for my keggles.
I never had the intention of trying to weld fittings onto my kegs. The welder I bought was strictly for building the brew stand itself.
I knew if I wanted to install welded fittings onto my kegs. I would let someone else do it.
Kegs around the Atlanta area are hard to come by. So this is why I went with the weldless. Which I don't have a problem with. I didn't want to try to weld some fittings in and really mess up the kegs.

You have to ask yourself how much do you really want to spend on the overall project. If the reconditioned welder is something you might consider and is in your price range. Then go for it.
Ive never used Campbell Hausfeld products..so I cant comment there.

So I ended up with an inexpensive Flux Core welder from CL that was used about once. It was still in the original box with some of the plastic on the cables. It came with an auto darkening helmet and gloves. Not bad for 125.

I found a steel company in town that will provide the product and cut to the lengths desired at no additional charge. I think I'll practice on a set of shelves for the garage and then head to the brew stand. Probably steel some of the dimension of some of your rigs I've been eying on here.

Thanks, here's to hoping I don't hurt myself. Cheers

stick welders are what real men use ( I pulled mine from an irrigation ditch) it made a nice stand:mug::ban:

stick welders are what real men use ( I pulled mine from an irrigation ditch) it made a nice stand:mug::ban:

Ouch...I'll start looking in more irrigation ditches. I did read an older post about using bed frames to build a stand. I'll be salvaging some of those to practice on before ordering my square tube.

Ouch...I'll start looking in more irrigation ditches. I did read an older post about using bed frames to build a stand. I'll be salvaging some of those to practice on before ordering my square tube.

Funny you should say bed frame. I made my brew stand out of a combination of 1 1/2 square tubing and a bed frame. Bed frame steel works very well. Ask people you know if they have any old frames laying around. I'l bet you can score one or two easily. Or try a scrap yard. Cheers!

BTW I believe it was BobbyM that made his brew stand out of bed frames.

We are building our 3 tier out of bed frames. Great for welding, terrible for drilling though. Chinese steel on any of the newer ones, so you can have a bit go through like butter in one spot, and then burn out without making a hole in another.

I'll keep that in mind for drilling.

I still want to use the 2" square tube for the stand so I can run some of the electrical through the frame and keep it as clean as possible. If it's exposed I'll snag it guaranteed. I found a local supplyer that should be very reasonable.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll be scouring town for frames to crank up the welder. I'll post back if I actually get it somewhat close to right.

Back