Extract Pils/Blonde? is plain but still in primary...suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyWrench

Reaction score
I was trying to make a lighter beer for my BMC friends/family and it's done fermenting (3 weeks primary) and already gelatin-ed and ready for bottling. I took a taste and it's really plain. I don't mind letting it sit longer if you think I need to dry hop or maybe add some more flavor (orange/lemon zest?).

Here's what I made...

6lbs Pilsen DME
.5 oz Cascade 60min
.25 oz Cascade 20min
.25 oz Cascade 15min
.25 oz Cascade 5min
Irish Moss 10min
Danstar Nottingham 1000ml starter
Gelatin and cold crash (50* in garage) on Friday 2/5

Ya, no frills beer, but I'm afraid it will just be too plain if I go and bottle. Maybe it's just what my BMC fans will like?

I wanted a little hop flavor/aroma so they knew they were drinking a ale. Will bottle carbonating bring out the hops a little more?

I don't mind turning it into something completely different, like adding pomegranate juice (blueberry, acai...etc) while bottling (though how would you calculate sugar, add it calorie for calorie instead of corn sugar?).

Any other suggestions?

Just DME? I would have steeped a little Crystal 10 or 20 to give it a touch of something else.

Ya, just DME. Live and learn...crash and burn.

If I hadn't already added gelatin, I'd add some fruit juice and let that ferment with, but since I have, not sure what will happen.

Even just dry hopping an ounce probably won't make the beer a turn off to BMCer's.

Steep some crystal malt, boil it, and add it in. Dry hop if you want, too. It's never too late to correct a beer. Nothing wrong with light, tho. Your BMC friends might love it!

The DME already probably includes some light crystal or something, so it isn't necessarily all that bad as is. Extract isn't made only from base grains.

I would go for fruit or spices or anything like that. My first choice would have been more hops, but pretty much all you can do is dry hop now.

Maybe I will just bottle. Right now I am tasting luke warm flat beer. Maybe carbed and chilled it will actually be pretty good. Its basically and extract SMaSH. At only 16 IBU the hops aren't going to shine through, but then again, the pilsen isn't isn't adding much in the way of maltiness, so maybe light and balanced? I guess we'll see.

Back