Water Analysis help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheist

Reaction score
I just received an email back from the Water Plant Manager in my area. Their basic report did not have anything we care about as brewers.

Here is what he said:

"Below are the constituents that we test for:

Calcium – 5.8 mg/L
Magnesium – 1.4 mg/L
Sodium – 8.5 mg/L
Total Alkalinity – 11 mg/L (Calcium Carbonate)

We do not test for bicarbonate, but that would be covered in our Hardness test which averages 10 mg/L.

We do not test for Sulfate, Chloride or Chloramine; however I would not expect to detect any Sulfate or Chloramine, and the Chlorides would be bound with Calcium, sodium and other salts.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to email back."

Where do I go from here? I really need to read Palmer some more on this topic. What would you do with water like this? It looks okay to me.

What styles would do well with this water? and what would I need to add to accentuate hoppyness? What other questions should I ask him if I need to?

Sorry for all the questions!

Well, you really need to know the chloride and sulfate concentrations. You might need to send a sample to Ward Labs for analysis. See Bobby_M's videos on the EZ water adjustment spreadsheet.

You have everything you need to estimate mash pH.

While sulfate and chloride would be nice, they are likely both close to zero. If you want to pay $16 to find out exactly how close Ward is the best option.

Back