Question on ingredient substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcpup

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got 3.5# of dark liquid extract that I need to use and have been looking for recipes that might work.

I have a partial mash London Porter recipe I've made before that calls for 4# of dark extract.

I'm not sure what grain ingredients to modify to make up for the "missing" half pound of dark LME. I have light DME that I use for yeast starters, etc, and could sub that, but I know it would affect the color, etc.

Here's the grain bill for the recipe:

2.5# Maris Otter Pale Malt
.5# Crystal 60L
.5# Chocolate malt

Any advice on what to modify would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I wouldn't worry about making up the specialty grains. Just add 1/2 lb of light LME.

Assuming equal color/flavor contribution from the dark LME and the specialty grains, the adjustment would be about 1 ounce of chocolate malt.

I wouldn't worry about making up the specialty grains. Just add 1/2 lb of light LME.

Assuming equal color/flavor contribution from the dark LME and the specialty grains, the adjustment would be about 1 ounce of chocolate malt.

Many thanks, David!

Back