Which of your brews do you use in your chili?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
Whippin up a batch of my favorite chili for football sunday. Just curious as to what style of beer people add to theirs. I have a robust porter and an oatmeal stout i could use but what about my kolsch or my ipa...:mug:

I like to use my lighter, or maltier beers. I'd stay away from IPA. That would be some funny tasting chili! I've cooked with stouts to some degree of success. As long as its not a sauce thats getting reduced, it could work. The strong flavor of stouts and porters end up tasting strange though.

I'd go with Kolsch!

I use amber ale, brown ale, or stout. Best so far has been Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

By the way, I know its unlikely, but if anyone is in the Hburg Va area, come on by for some chili and homebrew.

I never cook with IPA as I can never make the bitter taste good. I always go for my lightest beer with the least hops. Or I just crack a can of something and drink my bottled beer

I usually use whatever store-bought is in the beer-fridge that people have left after trying my homebrew, and that I haven't used to feed my plants.
I would avoid using the IPA, though, and go with the Kolsch.

Personally I've never found beer to give a good flavor to chili, it adds a skunky, stale beer taste that I just don't enjoy. Drink your beer with your chili, enjoy the flavors each one has on their own terms.

I do an ICS chili competition each year, and all the world champions...in fact every competitor there, never uses beer. The only place you add beer is to the cook :)

Good call Mike. I was about to put in a little Kolsch just to see what it would be like but after taking a sip, I just downed the entire thing and had homebrew with my chili as opposed to in.

Back